Estimated Reading Time: 1
Rotimi Amaechi, minister of transportation, says the zoning arrangement for political offices should be respected ahead of the 2023 elections.
Amaechi, who spoke during a Channels TV programme on Sunday, said the arrangement, which is usually between the north and south, should remain the same.
Amaechi said, “It is a difficult question for me to respond to.” And this was a question on a consideration for a South East chance at the Presidency.
He then proceeded to add, “I just believe that the zoning which was done in the north and south should be respected, just like Fashola said”.
A bit too early to have that conversation. Why not allow me to complete the assignment given to me by the President? – Rotimi Amaechi, Minister of Transportation on contesting the presidential seat. #SundayPolitics pic.twitter.com/JHxCIaYSQj
— Channels Television (@channelstv) November 29, 2020
NewsWireNGR recalls that the former Governor of Lagos State and Minister for Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola had last week said while the nation’s constitution does not provide for a zoning formula, it is a matter of honour for parties who had entered into such agreements to stay true to their words.
The minister who is from Rivers state, also said it is “a bit too early” to have conversations about contesting for president either in 2023 or afterwards.
“That is a matter of agreement among people. But the constitution that sets up the requirements of political party formation does not prescribe zoning”.
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies
- Ebonyi Government says it will offer amnesty to repentant bandits
- Reps Committee summons NNPC, others over oil mining lease revocation
- ‘Buhari needs to speak to Nigerians; we didn’t vote for Garba Shehu or Femi Adesina’ – Dino Melaye
- I will stop being a Nigerian if Tinubu becomes President – Bode George
- Breaking: FG announce high profile Nigerians and institutions as financiers of terrorism
- “Some people are mercilessly against this country,” – Disappointed Buhari says
- Supreme court declares dissolution of Oyo Local Government Councils illegal
- Pastor Adeboye’s son to be buried on Tuesday May 11
- Abia Governor promises to rescue abducted ABSU student