Estimated Reading Time: 2
Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari has said he is proud of Ebony State Governor, “for taking the bold decision to defect to the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, in accordance with his conscience and principles rather than any external influence or coercion”.
Stakeholders and governors of All Progressives Congress (APC) on Thursday visited Ebonyi State as the state Governor David Umahi officially joined the party.
The President, on Thursday, said, “I commend his boldness for taking this courageous decision in a country where principles are in short supply among many”.
The President’s statement reads, “I know people might call him names, but that is the price men of principle have to pay for acting according to their conscience and convictions”.
Governor Umahi in his speech at the official defection announced that “henceforth, Ebonyi is 100% APC. We are all moving to APC.”
He, however, called for unity between both APC and PDP, noting that, “Together, we are stronger.”
The Deputy governor Eric Igwe at the event announced that he will be joining his principal in the APC.
“Where you go I will go, where you stand, I will stand,” Igwe said.
Dignitaries at the event include former Senate President Ken Nnamani; Chairman, APC National Caretaker Committee who is also the governor of Yobe State, Mai Mala Buni; Jigawa State Governor, Muhammadu Badaru Abubakar; Kebbi State Governor Abubakar Bagudu and Niger State Governor, Abubakar Bello, among others.
Other dignitaries present at the official defection include the Minister of Justice/Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami; Senior Special Assistant to the President on Domestic Affairs, Mohammed Sarki Abba, and the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq.
Umahi had earlier on Tuesday, November 27 dumped PDP for APC after weeks of speculation that he had taken the decision to dump the opposition party for the ruling party.
He also faulted the claims that he left the PDP to achieve his ambition of becoming the president in 2023.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- World Aids Day:Cross River State Government Marks Day With Walk, Advocates for Early Detection
- Police confirm killing of Assistant commissioner of police in Calabar
- Pope Francis condemns the killing of scores of farmers and villagers in Borno
- Actress, Regina Daniels husband, Ned Nwoko, says he can marry another wife to add to all his wives
- Boko Haram abducts Red Cross officer in Borno
- COVID-19: UK becomes first country to approve Pfizer’s vaccine
- Kayode Fayemi has said security challenges are beyond the Nigerian military
- The Judiciary leads ICPC corruption index with over N9Billion in bribes offered/received in 2 years
- Kidnappers demand N15 million ransom to release couple abducted in Edo
- Hausa Language Movie, ‘The Milkmaid’ has been selected as Nigeria’s entry for the Oscars