Estimated Reading Time: 2
Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari has said he is proud of Ebony State Governor, “for taking the bold decision to defect to the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, in accordance with his conscience and principles rather than any external influence or coercion”.
Stakeholders and governors of All Progressives Congress (APC) on Thursday visited Ebonyi State as the state Governor David Umahi officially joined the party.
The President, on Thursday, said, “I commend his boldness for taking this courageous decision in a country where principles are in short supply among many”.
The President’s statement reads, “I know people might call him names, but that is the price men of principle have to pay for acting according to their conscience and convictions”.
Governor Umahi in his speech at the official defection announced that “henceforth, Ebonyi is 100% APC. We are all moving to APC.”
He, however, called for unity between both APC and PDP, noting that, “Together, we are stronger.”
The Deputy governor Eric Igwe at the event announced that he will be joining his principal in the APC.
“Where you go I will go, where you stand, I will stand,” Igwe said.
Dignitaries at the event include former Senate President Ken Nnamani; Chairman, APC National Caretaker Committee who is also the governor of Yobe State, Mai Mala Buni; Jigawa State Governor, Muhammadu Badaru Abubakar; Kebbi State Governor Abubakar Bagudu and Niger State Governor, Abubakar Bello, among others.
Other dignitaries present at the official defection include the Minister of Justice/Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami; Senior Special Assistant to the President on Domestic Affairs, Mohammed Sarki Abba, and the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq.
Umahi had earlier on Tuesday, November 27 dumped PDP for APC after weeks of speculation that he had taken the decision to dump the opposition party for the ruling party.
He also faulted the claims that he left the PDP to achieve his ambition of becoming the president in 2023.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- I can count 187 times President Buhari has said he will end banditry without results – Fayose
- ‘Amotekun will be deployed to protect COVID-19 vaccines in Ogun’ says Governor Dapo Abiodun
- Shortly after the release of school girls, terrorists abduct over 60 – burn Zamfara town
- Ogun State deputy speaker impeached over thuggery allegations
- Federal Government says States that have not met the criteria for vaccine safety will not get doses
- Just in: Buhari, Osinbajo to be publicly vaccinated on Saturday
- Jangebe schoolgirls: Reunion turns violent as security operatives shoot protesters
- Zamfara Government imposes curfew on Jangebe community
- COVID-19: Federal Government extends work-from-home directive
- Veteran actor and broadcaster, Sadiq Daba has died