Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Lagos State police command has arrested an #EndSARS protester, Eromosele Adenle, for undisclosed reasons.
Adenle revealed his arrest in a series of tweets before he was taken away by policemen attached to the Area F Command, Ikeja.
He tweeted photos of a white Hilux van and men suspected to be policemen alighting from the vehicle.
The protester tweeted, “I cannot record because I do not have a phone. The Federal Government of Nigeria is about to ‘arrest’ me for exercising my human rights! Their guns are out and they have broken my gates and are in my house!”
Adenle was said to have been taken away on Saturday morning and had yet to be released as of 10pm.
When contacted on the telephone by Punch Newspaper, the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, said he was unaware of the matter and promised to find out on Sunday.
“I am not aware of the matter but I can find out tomorrow,” he said.
The government has in the last two weeks clamped down on several persons who played a prominent role in the #EndSARS protests which sought to end police brutality.
The Central Bank of Nigeria had frozen the accounts of 20 #EndSARS champions while another promoter of the movement, Modupe Odele, was prevented from travelling last week and had her passport seized by the Nigeria Immigration Service.
Thousands of Nigerians marched in Lagos, Osun and other cities to demand an end to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, or SARS, a police unit accused of extrajudicial killings and abuses.
The government announced the unit had been disbanded, but many Nigerians are skeptical, as officials have promised an end to the unit and its alleged abuses before.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Justice Akon Ikpeme has been confirmed as Cross River State Chief Judge
- Nigeria has recorded its worst rating on Transparency International’s Corruption Perception Index
- Members of host communities broke into a fight at PIB public hearing
- Fact Check: Photo shared as evidence of Nigerian Army’s attack in Orlu is false
- Getting pregnant out of wedlock is embarrassing to the Police Force – Police PRO
- COVID-19: Federal Government cannot force anyone to take the vaccine – Sultan of Sokoto
- Wole Soyinka scolds National Assembly
- President Buhari has signed COVID-19 Regulations 2021; find the details here
- Amnesty International alleges continued police brutality
- NIMC suspends proposed strike