Estimated Reading Time: 2
The Oyo State COVID-19 Task Force, on Saturday, said it has discovered new victims of the contagious virus in a college in the state, saying the school has been shut indefinitely as a result.
The state directed the management of schools, workplaces and religious centres to ensure strict compliance with established protocols aimed at curtailing the coronavirus disease.
The task force, in a statement on Saturday, declared its readiness to shut down any institution, religious centre or workplace that violates the rules on the use of closed space settings, advising the general public to remain vigilant.
A statement on behalf of the task force signed by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, indicated that the advice became necessary following the discovery of a COVID-19 case in a tertiary institution in the state.
It added that the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) of the task force had immediately ordered a lock-in of the affected tertiary institution to keep staff, students and the general public safe.
The EOC has also kick-started contact tracing, while subjecting every possible contact to necessary surveillance, the statement added.
“The government of Oyo State wishes to draw the attention of the general public to the recent resurgence of cases of coronavirus in the State.
“Many of these cases were discovered in closed space settings such as offices and other workplaces.
“A reported case within a tertiary educational institution had also resulted in more cases being discovered through contact tracing.
“The state government has taken appropriate steps to lock in the institution to prevent further spread and put in place other preventive measures.
“Contact tracing has been intensified and the Emergency Operations Centre is working with the institution concerned to ensure that all students and staff of the institution are safe and well,” the statement read.
It added that there was no need to panic, as according to the statement, all necessary protocols needed for effective management and psychosocial support have been instituted.
The statement added that; “the Oyo State, as a responsive and responsible Government, wishes to admonish all residents to ensure due compliance with the directives and all COVID-19 prevention protocols as earlier stipulated, to enable a successful limitation of virus transmission.”
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- ‘Nigeria may experience worse hike in food prices’ – Farmers Association
- Kaduna Strike: El-Rufai accuses NLC of ‘unlawful practice’
- ‘PDP Governors’ Forum meeting is a waste of time’ – APC says
- Governor Dapo Abiodun’s aide arrested in the US for alleged identity theft and unemployment scam
- Breaking: EFCC arrests the immediate past governor of Kwara State, Abdulfatah Ahmed
- Breaking: Actor, Baba Ijesha has been granted bail
- FG says it has uncovered 476 online publication sites dedicated to daily churning out of fake news to fight the government
- PDP Governors want Buhari to implement restructuring, state policing
- BREAKING: Inflation rate declines for the first time in 20 months
- In Kaduna, Banks, Schools, Airport, Hospitals, others shut as NLC vows not to back down on Industrial action