Estimated Reading Time: 1
Nigeria’s Minister of youth, Sunday Dare, Thursday, congratulated 31-year-old Adeoye Owolewa for his success at the United Nations polls.
Owolewa was on Tuesday elected as the first Nigerian to be a shadow member of the US House of Representatives from the District of Columbia, making him the first Nigerian-American to achieve the milestone.
The Minister described Owolewa’s election as a shadow member of the US House of Representatives as a national pride.
“Congrats are in place for the 31-year-old Adeoye Owolewa for making Nigeria proud by being the first Nigerian to win a seat in the United States Congress,” the Minister tweeted .
Owolewa contested under the umbrella of the Democratic Party and he will be representing Washington DC in the House of Representatives.
His father hails from Kwara state while his mother comes from Oyo state.
Owolewa polled 81.59% of the votes, which represents 164,026 votes against Joyce Robinson-Paul, who scored 18,600 votes, and Sohaer Syed with 15,372 votes.
Alongside Owolewa, there are other Nigerian-Americans that are contesting for political offices in the ongoing US polls.
35-year-old Esther Agbaje won her candidacy into the legislative seat in the Minnesota House of Representatives
Austin Chenge, a native of Benue state, is also in the running for the next governor of Michigan, United States.
Other candidates are Yomi Faparusi, Yinka Faleti, Adewunmi Kuforiji, April Ademiluyi, Ngozi Akubuike, Benjamin Osemenam, Nnamdi Chukwuocha.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- COVID-19 lockdown: Over 24,000 children have not returned to school – Sanwo-Olu
- Tambuwal appoints committee to investigate Sokoto central market fire
- Anambra Governorship election to hold November 6 – INEC
- Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo flags off N5,000 cash transfer to low-income earners in urban areas
- Arewa Youth Leader says Northern Nigeria is the most backward region despite having the president
- Borno Governor asks Federal Character Commission for more employment slots
- Buhari appoints Nigeria’s first female ambassador to the United States
- Motorcycle riders are working as spies for kidnappers – Amotekun says
- Where will herdsmen graze if they leave the forest reserves? – Miiyetti Allah queries Akeredolu’s vacation order
- Kukah gets international recognition with appointment by Pope Francis