Estimated Reading Time: 1
Some soldiers on Saturday reportedly forced a medical doctor, Raphael Onyemekehia, to swim in a pool of muddy water along the Effurun-Warri Road in Uvwie Local Government Area of the state.
The incident happened around 11 a.m. when the doctor was on his way to the clinic, the victim and the state’s medical association said.
The soldiers forced the doctor to swim inside the muddy water at gunpoint while he was heading for work, this was in enforcing the 48-hour curfew imposed by the Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa.
Mr Onyemekehia, a consultant physician, reportedly identified himself to the soldiers with his identity card before he was ordered to enter the gutter and swim for allegedly violating the curfew.
The soldiers allegedly told the medical doctor that nobody was exempted from the curfew by the order given to them.
But Governor Ifeanyi Okowa had while declaring the curfew exempted essential workers including medical workers from the restriction of movement owing to the violence that greeted the #EndSARS protests across the country.
However, the soldiers told the doctor that he violated the state-wide curfew declared by the state governor.
They reportedly threatened to shoot him if he failed to swim in the gutter, Mr Onyemekehia was said to have swum for about 30 minutes.
See statement by the NMA.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Breaking: In a Gestapo style, Ganduje’s aide, Salihu Tanko-Yakasai, arrested and moved to Abuja from Kano
- Zamfara Government orders immediate closure of all boarding schools in the state
- IGP calls for calm amid the tension caused by Jangebe schoolgirls abduction
- Controversy trails attempted arrest of Sunday Igboho
- Delta State bans night grazing, underage cattle herders in the state
- Bandits who abducted Jangebe schoolgirls are different from the ones I met – Gumi
- Police confirms 317 schoolgirls were abducted in Zamfara school
- Just in: Osinbajo tells CBN to regulate, not ban cryptocurrency
- Police in Rivers State dissolve the ‘Eagle Crack Squad’ unit of the force
- Jangebe Abductions: The terrorists attacked the soldiers in the community before they entered the school- Teacher reveals