Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Aare Onakakanfo of Yorubaland, Iba Gani Adams has said “those in power today are products of protests by the people of this great country”.
In a statement released on Saturday, Gani Adams condemned the shooting of the peaceful End SARS protesters on Tuesday, 20th October
The attack, while being denied by the Nigerian army, has been denounced by the international community and Civil Society groups.
Gani Adams insisted that the right to protest is guaranteed by the constitution of Nigeria and supported by various United Nations, (UN) and African charter on peoples and human rights.
The Aare also said that the End SARS protest was a democratic request by millions of Nigerians whose relations were killed or brutalized by the police controlled by the Federal Government.
Millions of people are hungry. They are frustrated and left to live a life of misery. The country was emerging from COVID-19 and the next thing is increase in fuel and electricity tariff. We have reports of people who earn N50,000 in a month and have to pay electricity bills of N25,000 in one month.
“Some earn N30,000 in a month and have a bill of N20,000 as electricity bill. A bag of rice is over N40,000. How can a country sustain her citizens whose minimum wage cannot buy a bag of rice?”.
The Yoruba leader reiterated his case for regionalism, urging the Federal and State Governments to work towards returning Nigeria to the system to save the country from “imminent collapse and break up”.
“Nigeria is a country in perpetual conflict, I call on the National Assembly to initiate the process of returning the country to regionalism to stem the wave of unrests. Our leaders are adamant in defending a reckless and self-defeatist system”, the Aare added.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Mahmood Yakubu asks National Assembly to pass amended electoral act before Q1 2021
- Nigeria is the third most terrorized country in the world according to Global Terrorism Index
- Argentine football legend, Diego Maradona to be buried in Buenos Aires
- Lai Mohammed says despite recession, Nigeria’s economy is improving
- Cheta Nwanze: What NDIC really needs to succeed
- ‘Gowon is a man of honour ‘ Akinwunmi Adesina insists
- Fact Check: How true is Lai Mohammed’s claim that blank ammunition can not kill anyone?
- Imo State Government uncovers 300 ‘ghost workers’
- “I served Nigeria diligently ” Gowon reacts to UK MP’s theft accusations
- ‘Buhari will set Nigeria on fire if he does not come through on restructuring’ – Governor Wike