Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari is to address the nation Thursday at 7pm West African Time according to a statement issued by the State House.
Femi Adesina, the spokesman to the President said the address follows “detailed briefing by security chiefs on the current situation in the country, President @MBuhari will make a national broadcast Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 7pm”.
Nigerians, mostly young people had gathered at the Lekki Toll Gate Plaza in Lagos protesting against Police Brutality when the Military opened live ammunitions at them.
Eyewitness account says bodies were moved by the soldiers but the Amnesty International say, 12 persons were discovered to have been killed and the Lagos state Governor counted 25 injured with gun shot injuries.
The Protesters were being shot at from video evidence and live streams while they sang to the Nigerian National Anthem but the military keeps denying the overwhelming evidence of what has been condemned by world leaders..
The state House statement reads in Parts, “Television, radio and other electronic media outlets are enjoined to hook up to the network services of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) and Radio Nigeria respectively for the broadcast”.
This is also the first time President Muhammadu Buhari will be addressing Nigerians since the start of the ENDSARS Protest by Nigerians calling for an end to Police brutality and reforms in the Nigerian Police.
Although, most state governments have declared curfew as a result of the activities by hoodlums to hijack the protest and create choas.
But thousands of Nigerians across the world and in major cities continue to demand an end to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, or SARS, a police unit accused of extrajudicial killings and abuses.
The government announced that the unit had been disbanded, but many Nigerians are skeptical, as officials have promised an end to the unit and its alleged abuses before.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- ‘Avoid politicians approaching you to destabilize the government’ – Buratai warns Generals
- Lagos Senatorial by-elections hold today
- ‘Fisayo Soyombo Wins Kurt Schork Award in International Journalism after five attempts in six years
- Ali Ndume to withdraw as Abdulrasheed Maina’s Surety
- Nominations the 14th Headies Award is out, Check out the complete list
- Murder: Court upholds death sentence for Maryam Sanda
- Canadian Government supports Nigeria to strengthen security at the borders
- By-Election: Police in Lagos announce restriction of movement from 6am – 6pm in affected areas
- Arik Air sacks 300 staff members, claims economic hardship
- Patrick Vieira has been sacked as coach of Nice