Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Akinshemoyin ruling house of Lagos Island has condemned, in strong terms, the looting of the traditional and ancestral heritage of Lagos State.
Thugs had on Wednesday invaded the palace, carted away the staff of office of the Oba of Lagos, Oba Ridwan Akiolu after the invasion, destroying properties and looting.
While describing as shocking and bitter the use of brute force on peace protesters by soldiers at the Lekki Toll gate on Tuesday, the ruling house, in a statement jointly signed by Prince Salami-Abisako and Prince Adeyemi Sarumi said it will not fold its arms and allow miscreants to destroy Lagos State.
“The royal house, however called for the return of the stolen staff of authority to be deposited at the Apena of Lagos within 24 hours or the deviants will face the consequences of their action. A word is enough for the wise.”…
The statement issued Thursday reads in parts,: “Though we are in total support of the peaceful protest of the Nigerian youths tagged: #EndSARS #EndPoliceBrutality, we, Lagosians condemn with all sense of responsibility the gruesome murder of Nigerians, the hijack of the peaceful protest by hoodlums, destruction of public infrastructural facilities and property across the nation.
“We also condemn the looting of our traditional and ancestral heritage as it relates to the Oba of Lagos Palace; especially the carting away of the staff of office. We will not allow miscreants to destroy our Lagos ‘Onilu Onije Otu’.
“The acts of these elements are sacrilegious, taboo and abomination to the Yoruba race. These nefarious misfits’ conducts could lead to mayhem in the land if not timely checked and tranquility restored.
“We hereby call on the paramount Apena of Oshugbo, Opa, Akala and other traditional heads and custodians to immediately secure the Oba’s palace from further attack(s) in order to save the face of our traditional stool.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Pensioners reject Government’s plan to borrow from pension fund
- ‘Avoid politicians approaching you to destabilize the government’ – Buratai warns Generals
- Lagos Senatorial by-elections hold today
- ‘Fisayo Soyombo Wins Kurt Schork Award in International Journalism after five attempts in six years
- Ali Ndume to withdraw as Abdulrasheed Maina’s Surety
- Nominations the 14th Headies Award is out, Check out the complete list
- Murder: Court upholds death sentence for Maryam Sanda
- Canadian Government supports Nigeria to strengthen security at the borders
- By-Election: Police in Lagos announce restriction of movement from 6am – 6pm in affected areas
- Arik Air sacks 300 staff members, claims economic hardship