Estimated Reading Time: 1
Eyewitness accounts online reveals that there’s been an attempted prison break in Ikoyi – this is coming just two days after a prison break in Benin, the Edo State Capital.
Multiple accounts within the premises of the prison posted online reported gunshots heard as teams of correctional officers and soldiers reportedly tried to foil a revolt and attempted jailbreak.
In a statement released on it’s official Twitter page, the ministry of interior says the situation is being handled and all reports of escaped inmates should be ignored.
According to Prison Insider, “At least three-quarters of Nigeria’s total prison population are inmates serving time without being sentenced, the Nigerian Correctional Service had said. – The head of the agency, Ja’afaru Ahmed was quoted to have said, 51,983 inmates are awaiting trial out of the prison’s total population of 73, 726 inmates. That is about 70 per cent of the total”.
The two prisons attacked over the last days follows the hijack of the ENDSARS protest by hoodlums in most Nigerian states.
Thousands of Nigerians marched in major cities across the world and in Nigeria to demand an end to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, or SARS, a police unit accused of extrajudicial killings and abuses.
The government announced that the unit had been disbanded, but many Nigerians are skeptical, as officials have promised an end to the unit and its alleged abuses before.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- ‘Someone should help me, I am feeling exhausted’ reality star, Ifu Ennada cries out
- Federal Government appoints national task team on COVID-19 vaccine acquisition
- World Aids Day:Cross River State Government Marks Day With Walk, Advocates for Early Detection
- Police confirm killing of Assistant commissioner of police in Calabar
- Pope Francis condemns the killing of scores of farmers and villagers in Borno
- Actress, Regina Daniels husband, Ned Nwoko, says he can marry another wife to add to all his wives
- Boko Haram abducts Red Cross officer in Borno
- COVID-19: UK becomes first country to approve Pfizer’s vaccine
- Kayode Fayemi has said security challenges are beyond the Nigerian military
- The Judiciary leads ICPC corruption index with over N9Billion in bribes offered/received in 2 years