Estimated Reading Time: 1
Eyewitness accounts online reveals that there’s been an attempted prison break in Ikoyi – this is coming just two days after a prison break in Benin, the Edo State Capital.
Multiple accounts within the premises of the prison posted online reported gunshots heard as teams of correctional officers and soldiers reportedly tried to foil a revolt and attempted jailbreak.
In a statement released on it’s official Twitter page, the ministry of interior says the situation is being handled and all reports of escaped inmates should be ignored.
According to Prison Insider, “At least three-quarters of Nigeria’s total prison population are inmates serving time without being sentenced, the Nigerian Correctional Service had said. – The head of the agency, Ja’afaru Ahmed was quoted to have said, 51,983 inmates are awaiting trial out of the prison’s total population of 73, 726 inmates. That is about 70 per cent of the total”.
The two prisons attacked over the last days follows the hijack of the ENDSARS protest by hoodlums in most Nigerian states.
Thousands of Nigerians marched in major cities across the world and in Nigeria to demand an end to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, or SARS, a police unit accused of extrajudicial killings and abuses.
The government announced that the unit had been disbanded, but many Nigerians are skeptical, as officials have promised an end to the unit and its alleged abuses before.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- FEC approves 65 years as new retirement age for teachers
- President Buhari presides over first FEC meeting of 2021
- Teachers violating COVID-19 guidelines in Abuja will be arrested and Prosecuted – Task Force
- ‘Have a good life, see you soon’ Trump says as he bows out of White House
- LAUTECH: Oyo Government approves N8Billion payment to Osun Government
- Fredrick Nwabufo: I’m a ‘herdsman’ — all herdsmen are not bandits
- COVID-19: Federal Government says ultra chain cold facility ready for vaccine storage
- Ondo Govt says Presidency backing criminal elements masquerading as herdsmen
- Like Trump, Buhari will be remembered for failure – Fayose
- Civil servants in Rivers State begin work from home