Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Edo State government, Monday declared 24-hour curfew after a prison and some police stations had been attacked by hoodlums who hijacked the ENDSARS Protest in the state.
In a statement issued by, Osarodion Ogie Esq., the Secretary to the State Government, Edo State, “the Edo State Government hereby imposes a 24-hour curfew across the state till further notice. The curfew is to take effect from 4pm, today, October 19, 2020”.
It added that, “This decision has become necessary because of the very disturbing incidents of vandalism and attacks on private individuals and institutions by hoodlums in the guise of #EndSARS protesters”.
Ogie added, that while the government of Edo State respects the rights of its citizens to undertake legitimate protests, “it cannot sit idly when hoodlums have taken laws into their hands to cause mayhem on innocent citizens and the state”.
The statement reads in parts, “By the directive, schools and businesses are to shutdown activities accordingly. Those who cannot move safely are to stay put between now and 4pm till calmness is restored”.
“Parents are advised to rein in their children, youths and wards, to forestall further breakdown of law and order”.
According to the state Government, “The responsibility of government is to protect lives and property and maintain law and order, therefore, anyone found outside in violation of the curfew would be dealt with according to the law”.
Thousands of Nigerians continue to march in cities in Nigeria and across the world to demand an end to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, or SARS, a police unit accused of extrajudicial killings and abuses.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Nigeria is the third most terrorized country in the world according to Global Terrorism Index
- Argentine football legend, Diego Maradona to be buried in Buenos Aires
- Lai Mohammed says despite recession, Nigeria’s economy is improving
- Cheta Nwanze: What NDIC really needs to succeed
- ‘Gowon is a man of honour ‘ Akinwunmi Adesina insists
- Fact Check: How true is Lai Mohammed’s claim that blank ammunition can not kill anyone?
- Imo State Government uncovers 300 ‘ghost workers’
- “I served Nigeria diligently ” Gowon reacts to UK MP’s theft accusations
- ‘Buhari will set Nigeria on fire if he does not come through on restructuring’ – Governor Wike
- Algeria, Kenya, Libya and others affected as UAE stop new visas to citizens of 13 mostly Muslim countries