Estimated Reading Time: 1
Osun Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola has broken his silence on Saturday’s attack on his convoy by armed thugs.
NewsWireNGR recalls that on Saturday during the ENDSARS Protest, two protesters were reportedly killed by aides to the governor but the government refered to them as thugs, insisting that they attacked them after addressing #ENDSARS protesters in Osogbo, capital of Osun.
Speaking in a state wide broadcast on Sunday morning, the Governor described the incident as unfortunate and against the Omoluabi ethos.
He said he joined the #EndSARS protesters by marching from Alekuwodo area to meet the protesters at Ola-Iya junction where he addressed them.
“However, the protest was hijacked by thugs who wanted to kill me. We escaped from the scene without shoot or firing teargas to them.
“But after the incident, we gathered that two people died. One of them died as a result of a bike accident.”
He said the attack was politically motivated and targeted at killing him and other executive members of the state.
Osun Governor Adegboyega Oyetola had on Saturday afternoon joined #EndSARS protesters in Osogbo. The Governor had marched with other executives of the state from Alekuwodo Area around 2:54 pm to Ola-Iya Junction where the protesters gathered before the killings of the protesters.
Thousands of Nigerians march across the country to demand an end to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, or SARS, a police unit accused of extrajudicial killings and abuses. The government announced Sunday the unit will be disbanded, but many Nigerians are skeptical, as officials have promised an end to the unit and its alleged abuses before.
More details of the state wide broadcast to follow….
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Attempted Jailbreak foiled at Ikoyi Prison
- #EndSARS: Open Letter to VP Osinbajo; It’s time to realise the emperor has no clothes
- Breaking: Lagos to ease 24-hour curfew imposed over #EndSars
- LCC says the closed-circuit television system from the Lekki toll gate is intact #EndSARS
- “Nobody ordered the removal of cameras at the Lekki toll gate” – Governor Sanwo-Olu denies again #EndSars
- CCTV was dismantled to cover the massacre of young peaceful, #EndSARS protesters by the military
- #EndSARS: NECO reschedules SSCE papers again
- Lekki Toll Gate Killings: Yemi Osinbajo speak on shootings
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Nigerian state has turned on its people #EndSARS
- IGP orders withdrawal of policemen attached to VIPs across Nigeria