Estimated Reading Time: 1
Nigeria’s minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has said that the ongoing nationwide protest against police brutality and extrajudicial killings, is no longer peaceful and that government will not fold its hands and allow the country to be thrown into anarchy
Lai Mohammed, said this on Saturday when he featured on a late night Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) news programme, “Weekend File”.
According to Mohammed, the conveners of the #EndSARS protests might have meant well, but are no longer in control of the movement.
“Peaceful protest is an integral part of democracy and that is why the Federal Government in the last 11 days has treated the protesters in a very civilised manner,” Mohammed said.
“But, if you look at what happened to the governor of Osun state,it has gone completely beyond peaceful protest against excesses and abuse of power by the police.
“There is no where in the world where a government will folds its arms and allow the country to descend into anarchy.
“We are no longer dealing with #EndSARS but a volatile situation that can lead to anarchy if government does not take some very firm steps to protect the lives and livelihood of innocent Nigerians,” he said.
“We have nothing against peaceful protest but there are civilised ways of doing so,” he said.
“This is by going to a venue where you are not going to disturb other Nigerians because where your own right stops, other persons’ right begins,” he said.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Attempted Jailbreak foiled at Ikoyi Prison
- #EndSARS: Open Letter to VP Osinbajo; It’s time to realise the emperor has no clothes
- Breaking: Lagos to ease 24-hour curfew imposed over #EndSars
- LCC says the closed-circuit television system from the Lekki toll gate is intact #EndSARS
- “Nobody ordered the removal of cameras at the Lekki toll gate” – Governor Sanwo-Olu denies again #EndSars
- CCTV was dismantled to cover the massacre of young peaceful, #EndSARS protesters by the military
- #EndSARS: NECO reschedules SSCE papers again
- Lekki Toll Gate Killings: Yemi Osinbajo speak on shootings
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Nigerian state has turned on its people #EndSARS
- IGP orders withdrawal of policemen attached to VIPs across Nigeria