Estimated Reading Time: 1
The 36 states of the federation have approached the Supreme Court to set aside the Presidential Executive Order No. 00-10 of 2020 which President Muhammadu Buhari signed on May 22, 2020 on the funding of the courts.
The suit, jointly filed by the states’ respective Attorneys-General, has the Attorney-General of the Federation as the sole defendant.
In the originating summons filed by their counsel, Austin Alegeh (SAN) dated September 16, 2020, the governors demanded an order compelling the Federal Government to refund and pay each of the state amounts expended for funding the capital expenditure of the High Courts, Sharia Courts of Appeal and Customary Courts of Appeal of the states of the federation.
The states are contending that the Order violates the provisions of Sections 6 and 8(3), and Item 21(e) of the Third Schedule to the Constitution 1999 which obligates the Federal Government with the “responsibility for funding all capital and recurrent expenditure of the High Courts, Sharia Courts of Appeal and Customary Courts of Appeal of the states of the Federation of Nigeria being Courts created under Section 6 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”
No date has been fixed for the hearing.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila says Lagos needs N1 Trillion to reconstruct properties damaged
- 5 days after it happened, Presidency finally addresses Lekki shootings
- Lagos Attacks: Akeredolu says ‘there is an agenda beyond #EndSARS’
- Curfew in Lagos now from 8pm to 6am says Governor Sanwo-Olu
- Oyo State Government to reopen schools on Monday 26th October
- IPOB says it will resume peaceful protests on Monday
- Return stolen property in 72 hours or face prosecution; Osun Governor warns looters
- South-West Governors, ministers visit Sanwo-Olu to sympathise
- Breaking: NECO suspends ongoing examination indefinitely
- Cross River Governor, Ayade orders police to carry out house-to-house search for looted properties