Estimated Reading Time: 1
President Muhammadu Buhari has described the attack on the convoy of Babagana Zulum, governor of Borno, as an attempt to sabotage the return of internally displaced persons (IDPs) to their homes.
In a statement condemning the incident, Garba Shehu, the president’s spokesman, quoted him as asking Borno government officials and security agencies to remain resolute.
The president said in the statement that the attack was “an orchestrated sabotage against long planned return of displaced persons to their local communities”.
“The President advises the government of Borno State, working with security and intelligence agencies, to remain firm in their determination to restore normalcy to all communities liberated from Boko Haram terrorists,” the statement read.
“President Buhari urges security and intelligence agencies to intensify efforts to check sabotage, sanitize the roads, venues and locations well in advance of returning IDPs, while working closely with local communities.
“The President commends the gallantry of service personnel who repelled the deadly ambush, as well the sincere determination of Governor Zulum, who has been working with armed forces to end the menace of terrorists, rebuild homes and return IDPs to regular life.”
Zulum had said the relocation of the IDPs was sequel to a letter sent to Tukur Buratai, chief of army staff, demanding their immediate resettlement from Baga.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Media sanction over #EndSARS coverage is draconian – Group writes NBC DG
- Just In: Amnesty release a new timeline investigating the Toll Gate massacre #EndSARS
- I will sign executive order to recover looted property – Adamawa Governor
- Lagos State Government says there’s nothing wrong in asking the military to intervene
- I was detained for 47 days by SARS; man narrates as Judicial panel of inquiry begins sitting in Lagos
- Nigerian Army says Lagos state government invited it to intervene in #EndSARS protest
- Nigeria declares public holiday for Eid-El-Maulud Celebration
- Buhari re-appoints INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu for another 5-year-term
- We must regulate social media – Nigerian govt insists making reference to #EndSARS protests
- 2 years after, judge throws out case against 57 Lagos men accused of homosexuality