Estimated Reading Time: 2
The Catholic Bishop of the Sokoto Diocese, Reverend Bishop Mattew Kukah, has commended the people of Edo State for their conduct during the state’s governorship election on Saturday.
According to him, the people have left a legacy of efficiency which the entire country can emulate.
“The way they conducted themselves and I think in every sense of the word, they left us a legacy of efficiency,” he said on Tuesday during an interview on Channels TV’s Sunrise Daily.
The bishop who is also a member of the National Peace Committee, also commended the Independent National Electoral Commission, security agencies and civil society groups for their roles in the election.
“We worked very closely with INEC and I must commend the INEC chairman for his incredible leadership, zeal and enthusiasm.
“The Inspector-General of Police kept to his word on the promises he made to the people of Edo State and to the peace committee.
“Our commendation also goes to the people of Edo State. I have received quite a lot of messages from old friends that I haven’t spoken to in a long time, commending the work of the National Peace Committee but really this is not an honour that one individual should take.
“It is the people of Edo State, the way they conducted themselves,” he said.
Speaking generally about the political atmosphere in other parts of the country, he lamented that Nigeria is currently not practicing a democracy.
“What we are practicing in Nigeria, it’s just theoretically we answer the name democracy but in reality, what we are dealing with is a feudal system that is tied to agencies and ideologies that have got nothing to do with a democracy.
“When last did you see a politician across Europe which we are trying to imitate go and bow to the queen or king or seek blessings from a bishop. We have too many intervening variables that are confusing the narrative.
“We are really not practicing the principles of democracy and it lies in the fact that only those who have money can hope to be voted into power.
“If you feel you need to be anointed to ascend to power then we are running a theocracy”.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- No one has the right to expel any Nigerian from any part of the country – Arewa group dare Ondo Governor
- Just In: “We want justice for Seriki Fulani” – Miyetti Allah calls for Sunday Igboho’s arrest
- Afenifere wants ACF to “call their criminals to order” – warn that Yoruba would not want a repeat of the incident of 1966
- Miyetti Allah Cattle breeders association say kidnapping is a National problem
- Arewa Consultative Forum wants govt to act swiftly and stop the attacks on Fulani communities in the south west
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Buhari, now is time to speak to the Fulani youths
- Abia Governor dissolves state executive council
- Ignoring Governor Ayade’s instructions, CRUTECH insists on ‘no fee, no exams’
- American Legendary Talk-Show host; Larry King has died of COVID-19
- COVID-19: Kano Governor says closing down schools will be a ‘tragedy’