Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, has announced that he will embark on a ‘legislative diplomacy’ visit to Ghana on Wednesday, over the mistreatment of Nigerians living in the West African country.
Gbajabiamila who disclosed to State House correspondents after a closed-door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday, said the trip to meet with his Ghanaian counterpart to find a solution to the problem has been approved by the president.
“I am leaving for Ghana tomorrow to meet with the Speaker of the Parliament in Ghana to look at the issues on ground as it affects our citizens, to try and calm things down to see if there is a way forward.
“I informed the President; he is aware of every single step that we are taking. We hope that we will come to an amicable settlement one way or the other,” he said.
When asked what his demands were, Gbajabiamila said he was not demanding anything on behalf of the Nigerian government.
The Speaker explained that his mission to Ghana is to “discuss and see how the two countries can resolve whatever the issues are. It is not about making demands, it is diplomacy.”
This is coming four days after the Nigerian Government warned that it would no longer tolerate the maltreatment of its citizens in Ghana.
In a statement issued on August 28 by the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, the Federal Government is deeply concerned by the incessant harassment and the progressive acts of hostility towards the country by Ghanaian authorities.
- Chairman of Taraba State LGA, Hon. Salihu Dovo, has been killed by his abductors
- Nigerian Police vows action against those behind the recent violence and ethnic tension Oyo state
- Attahiru M. Jega: Restructuring in Nigeria: Why? How? When?
- It makes no sense for cows to roam the streets in 2021 – Adamu Garba of twitter declares
- Buhari’s government has been very disappointing – Former INEC Chairman, Atthairu Jega fumes
- Social Media for Activism: How a Nigerian Law school Student is using Twitter to raise awareness on misogynistic laws #everydayfeminism
- Come back with laptops, Ipad, smartphones for e-learning – UNICAL to returning students
- Oyo Insecurity: Makinde, IGP to meet with Ibarapa community
- “For people stoking ethnic tension” – Olubadan calls for peace between Fulani and Yoruba residents
- PDP rejects former speaker Dogara, insists he is not part of the party