Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Senate has declared that none of its members received the sum of N20 million or “any sum whatsoever” from the Niger Delta Development Commission’s (NDDC) COVID-19 fund.
The NDDC Executive Director of Projects, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, had alleged that National Assembly members received varying sums of money as COVID-19 palliative, the Senate said.
According to Ojougboh, Senators got N20 million, while members of the House of Representatives received N15 million each.
However, in a disclaimer by Senate spokesperson, Senator Ajibola Basiru on Tuesday, the Senate distanced itself from the claims.
“The Senate categorically denies that any Senator collected the sum of N20 million or any sum whatsoever from NDDC as Covid relief fund of for any purpose whatsoever,” Senator Basiru said.
“The Senate challenges Dr Ojougboh to publicly provide evidence of his claim and list the names of the Senators he allegedly gave the alleged sum.
“Failure to provide evidence of his claim, the Senate hereby demands an immediate retraction and a public apology from Dr Cairo Ojougboh.
In July the House Committee on NDDC summoned the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Mr. Godswill Akpabio and the MD of the Commission, Pondei, to appear and make presentations before it.
- Breaking: University of Ibadan releases 2020/2021 Post-UTME results
- Nigeria Medical Association denies ties with criminal bandits of Zamfara
- Peru’s former president, Martin Vizcarra, banned from holding public office
- Was Nigeria’s finance minister ignorant? or lying? – CBN Governor Emefiele says Printing money is a cardinal job of the lenders
- Helen McCrory, star of Peaky Blinders, dies aged 52
- German govt ignores Nigeria, picks Ghana to establish West African center for global health
- Cheta Nwanze: Security, civic space and the media
- DSS claims to have uncovered plans by IPOB to Bomb banks in South-East
- ‘Bandits are threatening to marry our girls’ Parents of abducted Kaduna students cry out
- Local Government workers block convoy of Nasarawa Deputy Governor