Estimated Reading Time: 1
Kellyanne Conway, a long-serving advisor to President Donald Trump known for sparring with reporters, announced Sunday she will step down to focus on her family.
Conway, 53, has been at Trump’s side since day one, managing his 2016 campaign that catapulted the reality TV star into the world’s most powerful office.
But the past four years of singular loyalty to Trump, including defending him on TV and with informal “gaggles” with the press, have taken a toll.
Her husband, prominent Washington lawyer George Conway, is one of Twitter’s most prolific Trump critics, repeatedly and loudly questioning the president’s mental fitness for office.
Also, Conway’s 15-year-old daughter Claudia wrote on Twitter Saturday that she was “devastated” that her mother would speak at the Republican convention, and pledged to seek legal emancipation “due to years of childhood trauma and abuse”.
Less than 24 hours later, Kellyanne Conway tweeted a statement that closes by saying: “For now, and for my beloved children, it will be less drama, more mama”.
Conway said she would step down by the end of the month and that her husband George would also be making some changes.
“We disagree about plenty but we are united on what matters most: the kids,” she wrote.
Conway has become both famous and notorious for sparring with the media, often by finding a way to change the topic, turn the question back on the reporter, or merely complain.
Conway, a lawyer and pollster by training, said her departure was her call.
“This is completely my choice and my voice. In time, I will announce future plans.”
- Buhari will on Thursday depart Abuja for Bissau
- Just In: Buhari approves construction of $1.9 billion rail line to Niger Republic
- Lagos donates 51 SUVs and eight houses to judges – second time in a year official vehicles were donated to judiciary
- 23 people, including school children, die in fuel tanker fire in Lokoja
- Just In: President Buhari has signed a long-awaited oil-reform bill?
- Buhari orders marketers of fertilisers to sell their products at N5,000 per 50kg bag
- Court says Buhari contravened law on Appointment of Judges’
- Appeal Court Hears Police Brutality on Nigerian Journalist 11 Years after
- APC says it lost the governorship election because of Adams Oshiomhole
- CBN says only account holders can deposit FX cash into domiciliary accounts – here’s why