Estimated Reading Time: 2
The National Identity Management Commission, NIMC, says it is focusing on the use of National Digital Number for citizens, instead of a National Identity card.
Director General of the Commission, Aliyu Azeez said this on Thursday in an interview with Journalists soon after the committee on harmonisation of national data submitted its report to President Muhammadu Buhari.
Azeez therefore said Nigerians that are yet to collect their National Identity card need not worry, provided they have a National Identification Number (NIN).
He said: “If you have the National Identification Number (NIN), then you are already identified, in the US is called social security number, the same with UK and also India did same recently, that they called it ‘Adha’ (meaning foundation), where they enrolled more than 1.3 billion people in about seven year.
“So, we too we have found out that the card is restraining us and it is foreign exchange that is going out of the country and this is the 21st century therefore, we are focusing on the National Identification Number not card and other identifications by other agencies have been linked to NIMC.”
Corroborating the stand, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami said the decision was taken in line with modern trends.
“We are no more talking about cards, the world has gone digital, so that card is no more. Our priority now is digital ID, it will be attached to your database wherever you are.
“So if you can memorise it by heart, wherever you go that central database domiciled with NIMC will be able to provide the number and every of your data will be provided.
“Now, our focus is no longer on producing cards, that card is only for record but what is important is the digital ID and if you notice we have started using the digital ID on international passport. Once you have the digital ID but not the card, we are 100 percent done with you,” the Minister explained.
- Breaking: Houses owned by Senator Ndoma Egba, Gershom Bassey looted and burnt in calabar
- Afenifere and Ohaneze Ndigbo beg thugs to cease looting #EndSARS
- Osun State Government revokes suspended curfew, declares another 24 hour lockdown
- Angry mob invade and rob senator’s residence in Ibadan
- Fredrick Nwabufo: ‘Hoodlums’ – the new title for hired thugs and unknown soldiers
- US considers visa restriction on officials culpable in the shooting of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Plaza
- Oyigbo town has become IPOB’s main operational base in Rivers State – Governor Wike
- #EndSARS: Super Eagles’ John Ogu ask players to boycott games
- Wizkid announced as new face of Puma sportswear
- COVID-19 palliative looting: We do not have authority to distribute without approval from Abuja – Osun committee explains