Estimated Reading Time: 2
The National Identity Management Commission, NIMC, says it is focusing on the use of National Digital Number for citizens, instead of a National Identity card.
Director General of the Commission, Aliyu Azeez said this on Thursday in an interview with Journalists soon after the committee on harmonisation of national data submitted its report to President Muhammadu Buhari.
Azeez therefore said Nigerians that are yet to collect their National Identity card need not worry, provided they have a National Identification Number (NIN).
He said: “If you have the National Identification Number (NIN), then you are already identified, in the US is called social security number, the same with UK and also India did same recently, that they called it ‘Adha’ (meaning foundation), where they enrolled more than 1.3 billion people in about seven year.
“So, we too we have found out that the card is restraining us and it is foreign exchange that is going out of the country and this is the 21st century therefore, we are focusing on the National Identification Number not card and other identifications by other agencies have been linked to NIMC.”
Corroborating the stand, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami said the decision was taken in line with modern trends.
“We are no more talking about cards, the world has gone digital, so that card is no more. Our priority now is digital ID, it will be attached to your database wherever you are.
“So if you can memorise it by heart, wherever you go that central database domiciled with NIMC will be able to provide the number and every of your data will be provided.
“Now, our focus is no longer on producing cards, that card is only for record but what is important is the digital ID and if you notice we have started using the digital ID on international passport. Once you have the digital ID but not the card, we are 100 percent done with you,” the Minister explained.
- No one has the right to expel any Nigerian from any part of the country – Arewa group dare Ondo Governor
- Just In: “We want justice for Seriki Fulani” – Miyetti Allah calls for Sunday Igboho’s arrest
- Afenifere wants ACF to “call their criminals to order” – warn that Yoruba would not want a repeat of the incident of 1966
- Miyetti Allah Cattle breeders association say kidnapping is a National problem
- Arewa Consultative Forum wants govt to act swiftly and stop the attacks on Fulani communities in the south west
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Buhari, now is time to speak to the Fulani youths
- Abia Governor dissolves state executive council
- Ignoring Governor Ayade’s instructions, CRUTECH insists on ‘no fee, no exams’
- American Legendary Talk-Show host; Larry King has died of COVID-19
- COVID-19: Kano Governor says closing down schools will be a ‘tragedy’