Estimated Reading Time: 2
Nigeria’s embattled former minister of petroleum resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, has lamented how values are fast eroding in the society.
Speaking at a virtual conference organised by the umbrella body of Ijaw cultural associations known as the Ijaw Nation Development Group(INDG), the former minister said things have degenerated to the extent that fraudsters better known as “yahoo yahoo boys” are respected in the society.
The Former minister, who according to Former EFCC boss, Ibrahim Magu, was alleged to have stolen $2.5 billion from the Nigerian government, highlighted the importance of mentorship for young people, saying only hard work could guarantee success.
“The ones that have swag, the Yahoo Yahoo boys as my son would say; these in short, are the role models they are looking at. These are the ones that reinforce negative societal norms and values,” she said.
“This is a travesty of an unfolding tragedy for us. Why have I spent time talking about fatherless homes and the impact it has on our children? The truth of the matter is that an irresponsible boy tends to become an irresponsible man and it is therefore a vicious cycle. If you plant yam, you cannot harvest plantain.”
The video of Diezani speaking at the event has gone viral on social media with Nigerias having diverse reactions
Diezani who had relocated to London shortly before former President Goodluck Jonathan handed over to President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015, was grilled at the Charing Cross Police Station in London. The former minister was interrogated at the station when UK National Crime agency arrested her on suspicions of bribery and money laundering.
The Westminster magistrate court subsequently granted her bail but seized her passport while she was asked to report at the station at a later date. The court had seized £27, 000 from her, while the agency applied for three separate cash detentions in the names of Diezani, Beatrice Agama (her mother) and Melanie Spencer, a Swiss national.
During her ordeal in the UK, operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) carried out a search on her Asokoro, Abuja, residence.
- Kaduna Government closes sports betting shops across the state
- Edo Decides: Early signs of a transition from party-based elections?
- Imo State governor, Hope Uzodinma, has rejected Edo election results – vows APC will win in court #EdoDecides2020
- “There is no more APC” – Senator Rochas Okorocha speaks after defeat of the party in Edo #EdoDecides2020
- “We would have loved to win,” – Governor El-Rufai says APC defeat in Edo was a surprise
- Hamzat Lawal: Okonjo-Iweala represents what the WTO needs at this moment
- Nigeria’s monthly oil revenue crashes by 75% – NNPC Report
- PHOTOS: NFF unveils new kit for Super Eagles and Falcons
- Health Workers call off 7 day strike
- “No one should say shit about Ganduje” – Fatima, Kano Governors daughter defends her father #EdoDecides2020