Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have staged a protest at the Edo State House of Assembly complex in Benin City, the state capital.
Channels Television reports that the protesters, stormed the Assembly complex on Friday while security operatives keep watch at the facility for the second day.
They pledged their support for the state governor, Godwin Obaseki, and prayed for peace to reign in the state.
The PDP members also supported a factional Speaker of the House, Frank Okiye, saying they recognise him only as the leader of the legislative arm of government in Edo.
They, however, rejected another factional Speaker of the House, Victor Edoror, who was claimed to have been inaugurated by 17 lawmakers on Thursday.
The protesters also condemned the inauguration of 14 lawmakers-elect in Edo at a private residence in the state capital.
They insisted that the inauguration of the lawmakers was done in violation of the law, stressing that the lawmakers had missed their chance to join the House
- States take Federal Government to the Supreme Court over funding
- Trans fat: Nigeria still on the road finalise regulation
- VP Osinbajo urges leaders of destination countries to insist on repatriation of illicit funds & their proceeds
- INEC replaces manual voting with automated voting system
- NNPC to be commercialized in new PIB draft – Minister
- We will pass the Petroleum Industry Bill speedily says Gbajabiamila
- President Buhari says “we need a corruption-free public sector to achieve transformation”
- Amaechi left a legacy of white elephant projects says Governor Wike
- N2.67 billion school feeding funds have been diverted to private accounts; ICPC reveals
- President Buhari writes to President Xi Jinping of China