Estimated Reading Time: 1
Kwara State has officially been designated a test centre for COVID-19 pandemic by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
The chairman of the state’s medical advisory on COVID-19 Dr Femi Oladiji dropped the hint in a statement.
Oladiji said that the NCDC has approved the automated GeneXpert laboratory, which is stationed at the COVID-19/Infectious Diseases Centre Alagbado Ilorin, which is now fully functional.
According to the statement , another COVID-19 molecular and research laboratory is proposed at the Harmony Advanced Diagnostic Centre which will utilise Reverse transcription and PCR in real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction (RT-qPCR).
“The GeneXpert machine has been accredited by the NCDC and is now officially functional in Kwara State,” he said.
“A review to assess the diagnostic accuracy of GeneXpert found that when used as an initial test, it had pooled sensitivity of 89% and specificity of 99% compared to sensitivity of 98% and specificity of 99% for RT-qPCR at standard formats.
“The GeneXpert tests will let us make quicker decisions about whether to quarantine or isolate individuals who show up with or without potential symptoms related to COVID-19. Hospital management staff will also be able to make rapid decisions about the best way to use resources, such as respiratory equipment,” the statement explained.
“This is a huge success for the government and people of the state. It is also a huge investment by the government and I must thank the Governor for this feat.
“With the NCDC certification of this GeneXpert facility, it would go a long way in the fight against this pandemic in the state,” the statement added.
- Joe Biden picks former rival Kamala Harris as running mate
- Mahatma Gandhi’s glasses go on sale August 21 for over $19,000
- Lagos courts deliver judgments on 122 sexual offences in 2020 – DPP
- 500 pioneer amotekun officers completed training with colourful passing out parade
- Covid-19: United States donates over 200 modern ventilators to Nigerian government
- Labour unions threaten to disrupt MTN operations over alleged anti-labour practices
- Over 5 million people applied for N-Power Batch C – Sadiya Umar Farouq
- Not an all boys club anymore; meet Northern Nigeria’s only female Polo Player
- NECO has released 2020 examination timetable
- Nigerian Government may reciprocate the visa restriction imposed on its citizens by the United States, Others