Estimated Reading Time: 1
About twenty-one persons were feared dead when a boat in which they were travelling capsized on River Benue Sunday afternoon.
It was gathered that the boat had 28 passengers on board when the incident happened.
According to an eyewitness, “The people were all Christian faithful who were going on a journey for their annual convention when the boat in which they were travelling capsized.
“Immediately, we heard of the incident we put a call to police who went in search of the drowned persons.”
The Benue State Police Command confirmed the incident but said two persons were rescued alive.
Police Public Relations Officer, Catherine Anene, in a statement, said, “On 05/07/2020 at about 1430hrs information was received that twenty-three (23) members of ECAN Church Ijaha, Makurdi Local Government boarded a Boat to attend a conference across River Benue.
“At the midstream, the boat sank into the river. Marine Police search party were deployed to the scene where two persons were rescued alive while 21 persons are still missing.”
- 500 pioneer amotekun officers completed training with colourful passing out parade
- Covid-19: United States donates over 200 modern ventilators to Nigerian government
- Labour unions threaten to disrupt MTN operations over alleged anti-labour practices
- Over 5 million people applied for N-Power Batch C – Sadiya Umar Farouq
- Not an all boys club anymore; meet Northern Nigeria’s only female Polo Player
- NECO has released 2020 examination timetable
- Nigerian Government may reciprocate the visa restriction imposed on its citizens by the United States, Others
- Abubakar Malami denies corruption allegations; writes to Buhari
- Covid-19: Lagos council demands fumigation fees, certificates from churches
- Hollywood actor Antonio Banderas tests positive for COVID-19