Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Nigeria Police in Katsina State has confirmed the assassination of the district head of Yantumaki, in Danmusa Local Government Area of the state, Abubakar Atiku, by armed bandits on Monday, June 1, 2020.
Mr Atiku was shot dead by gunmen.
According to a report by Premiumtimes, residents said the armed men spent at least two hours at the Yantumaki community during a downpour, trailing their prime target.
The district head fell to their bullets a few minutes to 12 midnight.
A source told the website that a palace guard sustained an injury when he was hit by stray bullets during the attack. No one else was hurt.
Also, in another separate attack, gunmen also killed the All Progressive Congress (APC) Chairman of Batsari Local Government Area, Abdulhamid Sani, following his alleged inability to secure the release of an arrested bandit.
The police spokesperson in Katsina, Gambo Isah, confirmed the incidents. He said the police were doing their best to protect the lives and property of Nigerians and they would continue doing that, whatever the circumstances may be.
The late APC chairman was a member, reconciliation committee working to ensure peaceful coexistence between Fulani residents, who are predominantly living in the bush and Hausa communities, who live in the town. Residents said the APC chairman was killed by a faction of unrepentant armed men who accused him of failure to secure the release of one of them who was arrested by the security agents, weeks ago.
- NFF cancels 2019/2020 league season
- Just In: Ibrahim Magu asks IGP for bail
- NEMA warns of flood in 102 local government areas in Nigeria
- “Nigeria’s crude oil production quota has been reduced” – Read Buhari’s complete speech at signing of revised 2020 Appropriation Bill
- Ondo Chief Justice rejects House of Assembly’s move to impeach deputy Governor
- Minister, Godswill Akpabio denies collecting N500m NDDC projects
- Kiki Osinbajo responds to allegations of N800m property ownership
- Breaking: APC Chairman resigns in Ondo, joins PDP
- Buhari appoints Mohammed Umar as acting chairman of the EFCC
- President Buhari signs revised N10.8trn 2020 budget into law