Estimated Reading Time: 1
Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, says he has ordered men of the Nigeria Police Force in Edo to thoroughly investigate the circumstances that led to the murder of Vera Uwaila Omozuwa, a 22-yr-old student of the University of Benin.
The 100 level student was attacked by some men inside a Redeemed Christian Church of God in Benin city where she had visited to read.
She was said to be in the church auditorium when the group attacked her, raped her, hit her head with a fire extinguisher cylinder and left her for dead.
Three days after the attack, Uwaila died on Saturday, May 31, 2020, as a result of the injury she sustained.
Her murder has sparked outrage on social media as Nigerians call on police and the government to bring the culprits to book using #JusticeforUwa.
Governor Obaseki in a statement on Sunday, May 31, said he has ordered the police to identify, arrest and prosecute anyone found culpable in the death of the 22-year-old student.
He said, “I have ordered the Nigeria Police Force (@PoliceNG) to thoroughly investigate the circumstances that led to the death of Miss Vera Uwaila Omozuwa, a 100-level student of the University of Benin (UNIBEN).
“The @PoliceNG has been mandated to identify, arrest and prosecute anyone found culpable in her death. The Violence Against Persons (VAP) Law is in effect in our state.
“Using this law, we would ensure to investigate what exactly transpired and deal decisively with those found complicit in the dastardly act, whoever they might be. #JusticeForUwa”
- Court of Appeal affirms Yahaya Bello as Governor of Kogi State – dismisses appeal of the PDP for lacking in merit
- Chairman of Nigeria Medical Association tests positive for COVID-19 in Nasarawa
- “And just like that, my life has changed forever” – Chimamanda Adichie pens emotional tribute in honour of her late father
- Five persons have lost their lives as boat capsizes along Ikorodu Channel of the Lagos State Waterways
- ‘Irresponsible and cheap politics’ – How Bukola Saraki described APC statement linking him with Hushpuppi
- APC wants security agencies to probe reports linking suspected cybercriminal, Hushpuppi to top-ranking PDP members
- Just In: Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has tested negative for COVID-19
- Breaking: Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, tests Positive for COVID-19
- Governor Akeredolu rejects the idea of handing over power to deputy governor
- Eunice Ortom, wife of Benue State governor, her son and some of her staff have tested positive for COVID-19