Estimated Reading Time: 2
Former President Goodluck Jonathan has said he reduced his political activities since he quit power in 2015 to enable him to concentrate on his foundation.
The former leader gave the explanation on Sunday in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, when Governor Douye Diri inaugurated the state executive council of the Peoples Democratic Party.
Jonathan, who said he was actually moving away from being “an effective partisan politician,” however, noted that his absence from political activities was being misunderstood.
He said, “Don’t be discouraged if you do not see me in most party activities in the state. I decided to appear in this event so that I will not be misunderstood.
“I’m shifting away from being an effective partisan politician because of my foundation. People who want to partner me felt that if you are a partisan leader in the country, they will eat with you with a long spoon.
“I felt that after serving as President of this country, I should go to some other areas where my services would be required. Through that process, I would be able to support the nation and the state in one way or the other.”
He called on the new state executive council to run an all-inclusive administration, to promote peace, unity and stability in achieving more successes for the party.
Jonathan averred that the survival of the party was largely dependent on its capacity to effectively manage its affairs.
“You have an enormous responsibility before you. You must work with the governor and not at cross purposes.
“No matter how strong a party is, if the people don’t appreciate you, you would be struggling to have them on your side. I know you will work harmoniously with members and carry everyone along,” he said.
The former President also applauded the exemplary leadership exhibited by Diri within the short period in office.
Diri, on his part, charged the new party leadership to reach out to all those who had left with the view to bringing them back into the fold towards sustaining the party’s dominance in the state.
To continue telling under-reported stories, we need your support for the work we do, donate to https://paystack.com/pay
Also, kindly donate to the work we do using this interim PAYPAL ID https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR.
- NLC suspends week long strike in Cross River
- NNPC appoints, redeploys top management Staff
- 632 candidates fail Law School bar final exams
- President Buhari is an ‘accidental president’ ‘ – Fasyose
- Ondo Deputy governor asks Akeredolu to hand over government, gives 21 day ultimatum
- Kanye West announces US presidential bid
- Rumours about Ebenezer Obey’s death are wicked and unfounded – Son
- People living with disabilities will be priotised in N-Power – FG
- Kano government to establish state anti-corruption institute
- Court of Appeal affirms Yahaya Bello as Governor of Kogi State – dismisses appeal of the PDP for lacking in merit