Estimated Reading Time: <1
An FCT High Court in Maitama has sentenced Maryam Sanda to death by hanging for killing her husband, Bilyaminu Bello.
Justice Yusuf Halilu made the pronouncement while delivering judgment on the protracted trial of Missus Sanda on Monday in the nation’s capital.
Sanda is facing trial over an allegation of stabbing late Bilyaminu to death, son of former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Haliru Bello.
In November 2017, the police charged Sanda for culpable homicide and sought a death penalty against the accused on two counts.
They informed the court that the killing was premeditated.
According to the charge sheet, Sanda was said to have stabbed her husband with broken bottles at about 3:50am.
But the accused who was initially remanded in custody has repeatedly pleaded not guilty to the crime.
Her trial centred on a judicial drama that lasted almost three years due to delays, multiple adjournments, and failure of witnesses to appear in court among others.
- Almajirai Repatriated To Kaduna Will Get Free Education – Kaduna Governor
- Nigerian farmers likely to go out of business due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- Odion Ighalo’s dream of making his stay with Manchester United may not materialize – here’s why
- NAFDAC to continue hydroxychloroquine clinical trials for treatment of COVID-19 in Nigeria despite suspension
- Of Oil wealth, Niger Delta Politicians & the Nigerian state
- COVID-19: WHO Suspends Hydrochloroquine Treatment Trials On Safety Concerns
- COVID-19: Anambra, Delta To Check Movement On Niger Bridge
- MURIC wants Northern governors sanctioned for flouting COVID-19 directives to pray at home during Eid al-fitr
- Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product grew by 1.87% in Q1 – NBS
- Buhari says no development can be achieved without peace