Estimated Reading Time: <1
An FCT High Court in Maitama has sentenced Maryam Sanda to death by hanging for killing her husband, Bilyaminu Bello.
Justice Yusuf Halilu made the pronouncement while delivering judgment on the protracted trial of Missus Sanda on Monday in the nation’s capital.
Sanda is facing trial over an allegation of stabbing late Bilyaminu to death, son of former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Haliru Bello.
In November 2017, the police charged Sanda for culpable homicide and sought a death penalty against the accused on two counts.
They informed the court that the killing was premeditated.
According to the charge sheet, Sanda was said to have stabbed her husband with broken bottles at about 3:50am.
But the accused who was initially remanded in custody has repeatedly pleaded not guilty to the crime.
Her trial centred on a judicial drama that lasted almost three years due to delays, multiple adjournments, and failure of witnesses to appear in court among others.
- MD of NDDC Says The Commission’s 2019 budget padded with over 500 fake projects
- Presidency deny reports of cancelled memo signed off by the late Abba Kyari
- Governors to meet over financial autonomy for judiciary & legislature
- Kaduna Govt extends lockdown by two weeks
- Lagos State Internal revenue service extends deadline for taxpayers
- Nigerian Airports to resume Operations – here’s what you need to know
- Nigerian children must be given all the necessary care – Gbajabiamila
- Governor Masari resumes lockdown in Katsina after Eid el-Fitr Celebration
- 28 COVID-19 testing centres now 28 across Nigeria, Katsina and Ogun get labs – NCDC
- Nigerian farmers likely to go out of business due to COVID-19 Pandemic