Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Supreme Court affirms the election of the Sokoto State Governor, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, as the duly elected Governor of Sokoto State.
The Supreme Court has dismissed the appeal filed by the All Progressives Congress, APC and its candidate Ahmad Aliyu.
The apex court declared the governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal, duly elected governor of the state.
A three-member tribunal had before now, dismissed the petition of the APC and its governorship candidate, Ahmed Aliyu, for lacking in merit.
The Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Abbas Bawale, had held that the petitioners failed to establish their claims on non-compliance with the Electoral Act and the issue of over-voting. Mr Aliyu had gone to the tribunal seeking to upturn the victory of Mr Tambuwal of the Peoples Democratic Party in the 2019 Governorship election.
The Governorship Election which held on March 9, 2019 was declared inconclusive following cancellation of 75, 403 votes which were higher than the 3, 413 votes margin between the leading candidates.
The re-run was then conducted on March 23, which led to the victory of Mr Tambuwal who won with a slim margin of 342 votes.
- Former Vice Chairman of APC, Inuwa Abdulkadir, Dead
- Just In: Ondo State Secretary to Government, Ifedayo Abegunde, resigns
- Negotiating with bandits is the best option for peace – Zamfara Governor
- Doctors in Cross River on strike over undeclared COVID-19 cases
- ‘We had no plan to bar Oyo deputy governor from fidau prayer’ – Ajimobi’s family
- “APC Is Irresponsible, Reckless” – PDP kicks against ruling party linking members to fraudstar Hushpuppi
- Just In: Benue State University DVC dies of Covid-19
- Just In: Boat mishap in Benue River, Scores killed
- Former GM of LASIMRA, Jide Odekunle is dead
- NLC suspends week long strike in Cross River