Estimated Reading Time: <1
Award-winning journalist Eromo Egbejule has joined daily digital magazine OZY as its first-ever Africa Editor, effective from January 2020.
OZY which hosts the annual OZY Fest in New York, also has a range of podcasts and TV shows in addition to its website OZY.com.
The Silicon Valley-based media company completed a Series C funding round of $35million in November 2019 and its investors include Laura Powell Jobs (widow of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs), European media conglomerate Axel Springer and Marc Lasry, co-owner of popular American basketball team, Milwaukee Bucks.
In his new role, Egbejule who was most recently West Africa editor at The Africa Report, will write, edit and commission stories from across the continent while also overseeing the brand’s expansion in Africa, from his new base in Abidjan.
For years, he has done exciting and dangerous reporting from Djibouti, Peru, Guinea, Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire, Senegal, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Benin, Niger and across Nigeria for most of the world’s major publications including Financial Times, Al-Jazeera, The Guardian (UK), New York Times, Washington Post, Reuters, Times of London, Telegraph, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ), Forbes Africa, Quartz Africa and The Atlantic.
His debut documentary on the most gruesome pipeline explosion in Nigeria, premiered last November at the African International Film Festival (AFRIFF) in Lagos.
Egbejule has also previously guest-lectured at universities in Europe and the US.
Recognition for his trendsetting work has come in the form of a plethora of nominations, awards, and fellowships including the CNN Multichoice African Journalism Awards (2016), PwC Excellence Award for Media Reporting (2016), The Future Awards Africa Prize for Journalism (2017), Miles Morland Writing Scholarships (2019) and Dag Hammarskjöld Journalism Fellowship (2019).
- Lagos govt says negotiations are ongoing with manufacturers to make COVID-19 vaccines available
- “Scammers bent on defrauding job seekers” -EFCC raise alert
- Just In: Nigeria orders immediate closure of enrollment activities at NIMC Headquarters
- Nigerian Military decimate Boko Haram camp in Borno
- Borno state Governor says south-easterners should negotiate for power rather than expect others to leave it for them
- Islamic State terrorists raid Nigeria’s military base in Marte, Borno
- ..had gone to the pharmacy to buy medicine …..How Gunmen abduct Imo State University lecturer
- Lagos Government releases work-from-home directive; Grade 14 & below to resume Feb 1
- Yoweri Museveni of Uganda wins 6th term re-election
- Rovers of Calabar to square up against 3SC in NNL season opening match