Estimated Reading Time: <1
Detained House of Representatives member, Shina Peller, has been released.
His aide, Shina Popoola, told newsmen that he was released on bail after his case was transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba.
The Lagos state government had earlier today sealed off Club Quilox for noise pollution and traffic congestion but the lawmaker was said to have gone to release customers detained when he was also detained.
Peller, who is representing Iseyin/Itesiwaju/Kajola/Iwajowa Federal Constituency, Oyo State, was allegedly arrested while trying to take the bail of some clubbers.
The lawmaker is the owner of a popular Lagos club, Quilox. The Lagos State Police Command had explained the reason for the arrest and detention of House of Representatives member, Shina Peller.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Bala Elkana, said Peller’s club, Quilox, was fond of obstructing free flow of traffic.
He explained that the lawmaker had been warned many times, but he refused to do anything about it.
He said after some of his customers’ vehicles caused gridlock on Monday, the police intervened by towing three of the vehicles.
Bala claimed that Peller mobilised thugs, invaded the station and forcefully removed the vehicles.
He said, “The honourable is the owner of that club and his customers are fond of parking on the road and blocking the road. If you want to pass that place, you will have tough times.
“Up till 9am, the club was still on. They refused to remove their vehicles and Lagosians were seriously disturbed. Even Mr Governor was affected this morning. He had to manoeuvre his way through it.
“This man had been talked to many times, but he refused to listen. This morning, our patrol vehicles towed three vehicles out of that place so that people could pass.
“This honourable mobilised over 50 thugs to attack Maroko Police Station to move those vehicles out. We had to send reinforcement from neighbouring stations before they were able to curtail the situation. That was how he was arrested with five of the thugs, while others escaped. We had to exercise a lot of restraints.
“They have been moved to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Panti, where they are being investigated.”
- Buhari will on Thursday depart Abuja for Bissau
- Just In: Buhari approves construction of $1.9 billion rail line to Niger Republic
- Lagos donates 51 SUVs and eight houses to judges – second time in a year official vehicles were donated to judiciary
- 23 people, including school children, die in fuel tanker fire in Lokoja
- Just In: President Buhari has signed a long-awaited oil-reform bill?
- Buhari orders marketers of fertilisers to sell their products at N5,000 per 50kg bag
- Court says Buhari contravened law on Appointment of Judges’
- Appeal Court Hears Police Brutality on Nigerian Journalist 11 Years after
- APC says it lost the governorship election because of Adams Oshiomhole
- CBN says only account holders can deposit FX cash into domiciliary accounts – here’s why