Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Nigerian Army Human Rights Desk, says it received 350 alleged human rights violation complaints against its personnel in three years.
Capt. Veronica Williams, Nigerian Army Human Rights Desk Officer, disclosed this at an accountability forum on civil-military relations in Nigeria, on Wednesday in Abuja.
Williams said that the desk was established in February 2016 in response to alleged human rights violations by troops of the Nigerian Army in counter insurgency and internal security operations in the country.
Williams, who was represented by Juliana Aboki, an investigator with the department, said that the complaints received include : extra judicial killings, assault, threat to life, unlawful arrest, spouse and children abandonment among others.
“Assault, torture, cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment received the highest complaints with 15 per cent.
“Spouse and children abandonment, denial of access to children received 11.4 per cent, while unlawful dismissal from service and Nigerian Army courses received 11 per cent.
“Trespass, unlawful eviction and compulsory acquisition had 10.9 per cent, while unlawful arrest, detention and enforced disappearance received 10.6 per cent complaints among others,” she said.
She added that the desk had so far treated 90 per cent of the cases, while 10 per cent are still under investigation.
She however called on Nigerians to call the Army Complaint number on 08160134303 to report any human rights violations meted against them by the Nigerian Army.
The theme for the forum is ‘Strengthening Civil-Military Relations, Accountability and Human Rights in Nigeria’.
The event was organised by CLEEN Foundation, in collaboration with National Human Rights Commission and Institute for Peace and Conflicts Resolution.
- Court of Appeal affirms Yahaya Bello as Governor of Kogi State – dismisses appeal of the PDP for lacking in merit
- Chairman of Nigeria Medical Association tests positive for COVID-19 in Nasarawa
- “And just like that, my life has changed forever” – Chimamanda Adichie pens emotional tribute in honour of her late father
- Five persons have lost their lives as boat capsizes along Ikorodu Channel of the Lagos State Waterways
- ‘Irresponsible and cheap politics’ – How Bukola Saraki described APC statement linking him with Hushpuppi
- APC wants security agencies to probe reports linking suspected cybercriminal, Hushpuppi to top-ranking PDP members
- Just In: Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has tested negative for COVID-19
- Breaking: Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, tests Positive for COVID-19
- Governor Akeredolu rejects the idea of handing over power to deputy governor
- Eunice Ortom, wife of Benue State governor, her son and some of her staff have tested positive for COVID-19