Estimated Reading Time: <1
The selection of Peter Obi as running mate to Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has been met with protest by south-east leaders.
David Umahi, governor of Ebonyi state, says the leaders of the region were not consulted over the nomination of Obi.
He said the development contravened an initial agreement that the leaders will collectively endorse a candidate for any position zoned to the region.
Umahi, chairman of the south-east governors’ forum, said Igbo leaders and governors were sidelined in the selection process.
He said any position zoned the Igbo must be deliberated upon by the key stakeholders in the south-east.
The governor said he has no ax to grind with Obi but maintained that the right thing must be done by the PDP.
Umahi and some Igbo leaders are expected to hold a meeting on the matter, and may ultimately reject the nomination of Obi as the PDP’s vice-presidential candidate.
- Nigerian broadcasting regulator warns media against reporting #EndSARS and that is why you can’t watch #GenocideAtLekkiTollGate but you should read this
- Lekki massacre: Who gave the order? #EndSARS
- Breaking: Armed security officials fire live bullets at thousands of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos
- Flight operations at the Murtala Mohammed Airport suspended
- Nigerian senate asks Buhari to Immediately address citizens #EndSARS
- Breaking: IGP deploys anti-riot policemen nationwide
- Just In: All Progressives Congress leader wants court to shutdown twitter in Nigeria
- Tension as hoodlums set ablaze another police station in Lagos State
- Speaker Gbajabiamila says he will not sign the 2021 Appropriation Bill until … #EndSARS
- Breaking: Lagos Government declares curfew over #EndSARS protests