Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) says President Muhammadu Buhari is most qualified to join retirees club.
The opposition party said this in reaction to a comment credited to Bola Tinubu, national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who said ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo and Ibrahim Babangida, former head of state, should join the retirees club.
The duo, in controversial statements, had asked Buhari not to run for president in 2019.
In a statement on Wednesday, Kola Ologbondiyan, spokesman of the PDP, said Buhari should step aside because of his “inability” to connect with the social and economic realities of the country.
“Every discerning Nigerian has discovered the fact that Asiwaju Tinubu is subtly passing a critical message to President Buhari and his supporters that he should not contest the 2019 election and that Nigerians have already moved on even without them,” the statement read.
“Even Asiwaju Tinubu knows that President Buhari, for obvious reasons, is the most qualified of all our elder statesmen to join the retiree’s club and save the nation the agony of more years of misrule characterised by untold economic hardship, heavy bloodletting and general indignation.
“The supporters of President Buhari should therefore accept the reality by reading the handwriting on the wall and heed wise counsel from well-meaning Nigerians.”
- Ibrahim Magu, former acting EFCC Chairman accused of failing to account for 332 real estate properties recovered
- Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami justifies approval to sell five sea vessels holding crude oil and diesel
- Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana denies receiving N28m from Ibrahim Magu
- “My involvement in that political process ended after the elections of 2011” – Sambo Dasuki denies campaigning for President Buhari in 2015
- UK denies Nigerian airline landing permit to evacuate stranded citizens
- Leader of ‘One Million Boys’ shot dead in Ibadan
- Doctors in Lagos State begin warning strike on Monday
- National Theatre handed over to bankers’ committee for renovation
- LASG seals 33 hotels, bars, restaurants, others for violating reopening protocols
- Bollywood Superstars Amitabh Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Test Positive For COVID-19