Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Ekiti State government says it has received information that a state lawmaker detained last week during a raid on the state House of Assembly by State Security Services’ agents, has died.
The government said Thursday that, “Information reaching us indicates that one of the abducted members of the Ekiti State House of Assembly, Hon. Afolabi Akanni, has died in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS)”.
The government said Mr. Akanni had been unlawfully held since March 4 by the SSS which defied a court order ordering his release.
“Significantly, since his illegal detention, he has been held incommunicado without access to his family members, doctors and lawyers,” a statement read to journalists by Lanre Ogunsuyi, Commissioner for Information, Youths and Sports Development, said.
“We call on the DSS to immediately clarify the situation as to the status (dead or alive) of Hon Afolabi Akanni, representing Efon Constituency, by producing him physically for all Nigerians, particularly his immediate family to see.
“While we are waiting for the DSS, we urge every resident of Ekiti State, particularly the people of his immediate Constituency in Efon to remain calm.”
- Media sanction over #EndSARS coverage is draconian – Group writes NBC DG
- Just In: Amnesty release a new timeline investigating the Toll Gate massacre #EndSARS
- I will sign executive order to recover looted property – Adamawa Governor
- Lagos State Government says there’s nothing wrong in asking the military to intervene
- I was detained for 47 days by SARS; man narrates as Judicial panel of inquiry begins sitting in Lagos
- Nigerian Army says Lagos state government invited it to intervene in #EndSARS protest
- Nigeria declares public holiday for Eid-El-Maulud Celebration
- Buhari re-appoints INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu for another 5-year-term
- We must regulate social media – Nigerian govt insists making reference to #EndSARS protests
- 2 years after, judge throws out case against 57 Lagos men accused of homosexuality