Estimated Reading Time: <1
Three more people have died from among the 13 persons earlier reported rescued in a boat accident that occurred Saturday morning along the Lagos waterways.
They reportedly died at the General Hospital Ijede where they were rushed to by rescue and emergency officials. This now bring to about seven persons that died in the accident.
Four persons were confirmed dead and 13 others rescued earlier on Saturday.? The mishap occurred at the Badore area of Lagos at about 10.15am. And was said to have been caused by a submerged log which the boat ran over.
The boat carrying 17 passengers was said to be coming from Ijede in the Ikorodu area of the state and was heading to Badore when the accident occurred.
Aside the log which the boat ran over, the boat boy was said to be inexperienced and over speeding.
It was gathered that the boat was carrying 17 passengers, an operator and his assistant, out of which 10 persons were rescued by a combined team of officials from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA), the Marine Police and the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) as well as local fishermen.
Ibrahim Farinloye, Public Relations Officer (PRO) of NEMA in the South-West Reguon, who confirmed the incident said 17 person were on-board the ill-fated boat.
“NEMA can confirm that a boat capsized at Badore on Saturday morning. It was coming from Ijede with 17 passengers on board.
“Thirteen persons were rescued while four bodies were recovered. Those rescued were treated and allowed to go,” he said.
- Just In: Schools across Nigeria remain closed – here’s all you need to know about the lifted restrictions
- In Nigeria, domestic flights to resume Operations from June 21
- Breaking: Religious gatherings can now resume – FG
- Edo Polls: Obaseki seeks Buhari’s intervention
- Breaking: APC governors converge in Abuja for crucial meeting on Obaseki
- Police confirms assassination of district head, APC chairman by bandits
- Breaking: Nigerian Govt reduces petrol pump price to N121.50 per litre
- Breaking: Tribunal rejects party’s request to join petition in Bayelsa governorship dispute
- Salawa Abeni’s 19 year old blackmailer has been arrested
- “Aboki” and the dangers of othering in Nigeria