Estimated Reading Time: <1
For the people of Southern Ijaw local government area of Bayelsa State, the seige seems to be over as residents of various communities in the local government area jubilate as results trickle in from various polling units, putting the PDP’s Governor Seriake Dickson, in an early lead.
The materials for Amatolo community it was gathered could not be taken to the riverside settlement following reports of sporadic shooting in the area
The NYSC members (ad-hoc staff) and election materials ?are secured at the distribution centre at Amassoma by a combined team of policemen and men of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps with armed soldiers guarding the entrance leading to the centre.
Meanwhile, Voters and observers participating in Saturday’s supplementary governorship election in Bayelsa have commended the performance of card readers deployed for the exercise.
The supplementary poll is being conducted in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area and in 101 units in other parts of the state where the Dec. 5, 2015 election was cancelled due to widespread violence.
The voters, who spoke in some of the polling stations, commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for correcting the lapses which the card reader recorded in the December exercise.
Mr James Dou, a domestic election observer told NAN in Anyama-Ijaw that the card readers deployed to the area performed effectively.
“The card readers are performing well and we have no problems with it; INEC did well and corrected the problems noticed during the cancelled polls, last year,’’ Dou said.
At Peremabiri community, a voter, Timi Pokumo, said that he was impressed with the performance of the device.
According to him, in Koulama 1 and Koulama 2, and Okolobama, the card readers were working well and were used for authenticating Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) and for accreditation.
However, voting and accreditation, which commenced simultaneously in polling stations in Southern Ijaw, did not take-off in some due to late arrival of election materials.
Particularly affected in the delay were Koluama 1, Koluama 2 as well as Peremabiri units where the exercise started by 12 Noon.
In all the units and wards in the local government area, turn of voters was impressive and conduct of the exercise was peaceful.
- APC wants security agencies to probe reports linking suspected cybercriminal, Hushpuppi to top-ranking PDP members
- Just In: Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has tested negative for COVID-19
- Breaking: Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, tests Positive for COVID-19
- Governor Akeredolu rejects the idea of handing over power to deputy governor
- Eunice Ortom, wife of Benue State governor, her son and some of her staff have tested positive for COVID-19
- Udo Jude Ilo: Making the best of the Public Anger on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence
- Edo Elections: PDP picks Nyesom Wike as campaign chairman
- Governor Abdulrazaq reshuffles cabinet
- LASG announces partial reopening of schools
- Kogi Governor appoints acting Chief Judge