Estimated Reading Time: <1
Diezani Alison-Madueke is receiving treatment for cancer in the United Kingdom, her lawyer told SaharaReporters on Thursday.
Mr. Oscar Onwudiwe said in a statement that the former Minister of Petroleum Resources, who was arrested last week in London on corruption-related offences, began the treatment for cancer in the UK while she was in office.
Although he did not say what form of cancer she was diagnosed with, he added, “The health crisis has unfortunately exacerbated in recent times.”
In his statement, Mr. Onwudiwe said that her client underwent chemotherapy last week and is scheduled to undergo surgery next week.
Alison-Madueke was arrested along with four other people on Friday October 2nd by the UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA) for bribery and money laundering.
The agency confirmed her arrest. It further noted that she paid her bail and was released. On Monday this week at the Westminster Magistrates Court, the NCA said that it had also detained 27,000 pounds sterling from her.
The statement said: “It is worth emphasising that Mrs Alison-Madueke was never arrested or detained and her passport was never seized. She was merely invited, and she honoured it promptly.
“ The Madueke family, like most other families, have their own challenges. For instance, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke has been receiving treatment for cancer in the UK which started while she was in office.
“The health crisis has unfortunately exacerbated in recent times. She completed months of chemotherapy just last week and she is scheduled to undergo surgery next week in London.
“The family has been bearing this challenge with prayers and as much grace and fortitude as possible; and would plead with all reasonable Nigerians to pray for her recovery so that she can face this allegation and give account of her stewardship. Yes, she can—and very well, too.
“The Madueke and Agama families would want the decent public to know that neither Ugonna nor Somze or Abiye or anyone related to the two families was picked up or arrested or invited for questioning by anybody whatsoever. Ugonna’s father (the Rear Admiral) has been in Lagos and working in his office.
“The lies about his having travelled with a team of lawyers should please stop. The Madueke family has taken a decision on how to appropriately deal with those who are on a mission to soil their hard earned family name.”
On the ex-minister’s mother, the statement said: “Mrs. Beatrice Agama, the 81-year old mother of Mrs. Diezani Madueke, owns a house in the United Kingdom. A LIE! Mrs. Agama has no house or property in the United Kingdom.
“She has been staying in a rented two-bedroom flat from where she is receiving medical attention for a broken femur”
- Governor Ayade swears in 3rd acting chief judge in 11 months, as lawyers protest
- #EndSARS protests: Lagos considers closure of schools
- Leave the road and let’s talk; Sanwo-Olu begs #EndSARS protesters
- 181 students, staff test positive for COVID-19 in Lagos private school
- Breaking: Another Prison attacked and inmates freed in Edo
- Nigerian lawmaker backs #EndSARS protesters
- Just In: Defence minister warns protesters against undermining National Security #EndSARS
- “The ongoing protests show that there is hidden agenda, APC on #EndSARS
- Protesters block airport road as Soldiers take over #EndSARS locations in Abuja
- Breaking: Edo State Government declares 24-hour curfew #EndSARS