Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC has arrested a former Governor of Jigawa State, Alhaji Sule Lamido, for alleged money laundering related offences.
According to reports, the operatives of the anti-graft agency picked up the former governor and his two sons, Mustapha and Aminu, in Abuja on Tuesday.
It was gathered that the anti-graft agency picked up the governor and his sons in the early hours today.
It was learnt that EFCC detectives flew the suspects to Kano by 2.30pm in preparation for their arraignment in Kano.
A source in the commission said, “The former Governor of Jigawa State, Alhaji Sule Lamido, and his two sons, Mustapha and Aminu, were arrested this morning by operatives of the commission.
“They were with us for hours before they were flown to Kano for possible arraignment on Wednesday. They left Abuja Airport around 2.30pm.
“It is most likely that they would be arraigned tomorrow, that I can tell you.”
The EFCC had arrested the two sons of the governor in November 2015 over alleged misappropriation of billions of Naira belonging to the Jigawa State Government.
Operatives of the commission, investigating Lamido and his sons, alleged that billions of state government funds were traced into accounts of companies owned and operated by the governor and his two sons.
Head of Media and Publicity of the EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, confirmed the arrest of the former governor and his two sons to our correspondent on the telephone on Wednesday.
He said, “I can confirm to you that the former Governor of Jigawa State, Alhaji Sule Lamido, and his two sons are with the commission.”
- Nollywood Actress, Regina Daniels is having a baby with Ned Nwoko
- Infectious Diseases Bill more dangerous than coronavirus – Ekweremadu
- Ibrahim, President Muhammadu Buhari’s nephew, is dead
- Doctors threaten strike over non payment of COVID-19 Allowance
- 268 Nigerians arrive from China
- Niger State plans to modernise local Islamic schools
- “Destructive shadow of bitterness, we’re shackled by the sins of our fathers”- Nigeria is haunted by the Biafran war
- Nigeria’s Elnathan John, others to judge Kalahari short story competition open to writers in Swahili, French and English
- President Buhari reconstitutes NNPC board
- We have worked hard for our COVID-19 free status- Cross River Govt