Estimated Reading Time: <1
Immediate past governor of Niger State, Dr. Babangida Aliyu was yesterday booed and stoned at the venue of the handing over ceremony in Minna. Aliyu was at the Bako Kontagora Memorial Stadium for the transfer of power to his successor, Alhaji Abubakar Sani Bello. The former governor, who arrived at about 10.15 am was booed by the crowd as he walked to the podium.
Shouts of ‘Barawo’, ‘thief’, ‘ole’, ‘change has come’, ‘your time has gone,” filled the air. Aliyu was not able to present his farewell speech as a result of the ensuing pandemonium. Even as he was seated at the pavilion, stones and sachet water were hauled at him. As a result of that, military men from 31 Artillery Brigade were drafted to the stadium in search of those behind the incidence.
It was gathered that former governor was earlier advised against attending the ceremony to forestall such occurrence. The new governor , Alhaji Abubakar Sani Bello and his Deputy, Alhaji Mohammed Ketso were administered the oath of office and allegiance by the Chief Judge, Justice Lami Abubakar.
Immediately after the event tear-gas was shot into the air leading to stampede. The former governor was smuggled out of the stadium amidst tight security led by the state Commissioner of Police to avoid being mobbed by the crowd. The new Governor, Alhaji Abubakar Sani Bello in his inaugural address titled,”Repositioning the State For Peace and Development,” said though he was taking over at a critical period, all would be done to put smiles on the faces of Nigerlites.
His words:”As the administration settles down, we will examine the books and study what is being handed over to us. As a follow up to the debt burden being bequeathed to us by the outgoing administration,I will like to use this opportunity to assure Nigerlites that this administration will carry out a forensic audit to determine our debt profile and bonds with a view to determining how these funds were applied and for which projects.’’
- Bandits displace over 600, mostly women and children in Katsina, Buhari’s home state
- Late Abba Kyari “fingered” in the ‘face-off’ between Abike Dabiri-Erewa and Minister Pantami -Read this Letter
- Parents Who Enroll Children Into Almajiri System May Go To Jail – El-Rufai
- Manager of Demolished Prodest Hotel Among 27 New COVID-19 Cases In Rivers
- All I Always Wanted In The Music Space Is Consistency – iLLBliss
- N-Power Beneficiaries Say They Have Not Received April Payment, Dispute Minister’s Claims
- INEC To Create E-Platforms For Submission Of Nomination Forms In Edo & Ondo Elections
- Nigerian Govt issues circular warning senior officials against leaking documents
- US Government probes Nigeria’s Akinwunmi Adesina at Africa Development Bank
- NDDC: Who Is Afraid Of The President’s Order For A Forensic Audit?