Estimated Reading Time: <1
The inauguration of Gov. Nasir El-Rufa’i of Kaduna State ended abruptly on Friday. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that El-Rufai could not review the parade mounted by the police as some youths pelted dignitaries with water sachets, stones and other objects in the pavilion.
This prompted security agents to fire tear gas into the crowd at the Murtala Square, Kaduna.
NAN also reports that some dignitaries in the pavilion included the Emir of Zazzau, Dr Shehu Idris, and other traditional rulers in the State.
The incident occurred when the new governor had concluded his address and was about to mount an open van to review the parade mounted by the police.
While the crowds were dispersed by the police, dignitaries remained seated, but the occasion ended abruptly without the governor reviewing the parade. NAN reports that the Murtala Square was filled to capacity.
- Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila says Lagos needs N1 Trillion to reconstruct properties damaged
- 5 days after it happened, Presidency finally addresses Lekki shootings
- Lagos Attacks: Akeredolu says ‘there is an agenda beyond #EndSARS’
- Curfew in Lagos now from 8pm to 6am says Governor Sanwo-Olu
- Oyo State Government to reopen schools on Monday 26th October
- IPOB says it will resume peaceful protests on Monday
- Return stolen property in 72 hours or face prosecution; Osun Governor warns looters
- South-West Governors, ministers visit Sanwo-Olu to sympathise
- Breaking: NECO suspends ongoing examination indefinitely
- Cross River Governor, Ayade orders police to carry out house-to-house search for looted properties