Estimated Reading Time: <1
The presidency has reportedly ordered the immediate withdrawal of all security personnel attached to politicians and individuals believed to be close friends and associates of the first family and top government functionaries.
Nigerian Tribune gathered that the security personnel involved include the military, police, Department of State Services (DSS), armed squad of the para-military like the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), Customs, Nigeria Prisons and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) officials, among others.
It was gathered that when the electioneering campaign was to kick start, the security personnel were massively deployed to individual politicians, who were in support of the re-election of President Jonathan and PDP in general.
The security personnel, especially soldiers and men of the mobile police force, otherwise known as anti-riot policemen served as escorts and personal guards in the convoys and private residences of the individuals close to the President in Abuja and their country homes.
Roads leading to the homes of these top personnel were said to be barricaded by these security officials and paid with tax payer’s money.
More armed and plain-clothed security agents were also reportedly deployed to the services of some key officers in PDP presidential campaign organisation team, as well as some of the party’s candidates in states such as Rivers State.
One of the soldiers attached to a known politician from the South-South, residing in Asokoro District, Abuja who spoke under condition of anonymity, told Nigerian Tribune on Monday, that all of them have been directed to report at the base with immediate effect for further briefing.
According to him, “we saw our withdrawal coming since the President, having lost the election. We have been with our Oga since, on the orders from the presidential villa and now going back to base.
“We don’t know our new posting yet. One of my friends attached to an ex-militant leader in Bayelsa State phoned me to confirm this, so the tea party is over for us and the politicians. We will now have time for real work,” he declared.
Nigerian Tribune, on Monday, gathered that all the heads of the security agencies have been duly informed and the need to comply with the presidential order, with immediate effect.
- House of representatives has withdrawn the water resources bill – here’s why
- Nigerian Senators reject Buhari’s nominee as PENCOM DG
- Nigeria’s 2020 budget has suffered a loss of over $14 billion – Senate President
- P&ID: UK Court orders release of $200 million deposit to Nigeria
- Nigeria@60: Federal Government declares October 1 Public holiday
- Buhari asks NASS for N147 billion refund for Ondo, four other states
- Convoy attack: Borno NASS members visit Zulum in Maiduguri
- ICPC should publish names of persons associated with missing school feeding funds – Minister
- Arewa Consultative Forum caution Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to watch his utterances
- 300 Rice Farmers in Cross River protest unpaid salaries