Estimated Reading Time: <1
By Chris Nomjov
Unknown gunmen, on Friday morning, attacked Federal Prison, Afokang, in Calabar, the Cross River State capital, where they were said to have freed unknown number of inmates of the prison. The attack on the prison, monitored on popular and credible radio station, Rhythm FM, was carried out in the early hours of Friday.
All accusing fingers, have so far, been pointed towards Islamic sect, Boko Haram. The dreaded sect, has been carrying out such prison attacks in recent times in Nigeria.
Though the insurgents are yet to strike in the South South part of Nigeria, the increasing battle of the sect with Cameroonian soldiers makes it a possibility that the members carried out the attack on the prison.
Nigeria, via Cross River, shares boundary with Cameroon.
Following the attack, armed military and police personnel have been drafted to the prison. At the moment, the casualty figure following the attack is yet to be ascertained.
- Femi Adesina says Nigerians who fail to pray are guilty of prolonging the war against insecurity
- COVID-19: UK to close all travel corridors
- NAFDAC warns against the circulation of fake coronavirus vaccines
- The Kwara women who built community school with their personal funds have been refunded
- NIMC lists 50 NIN enrolment centres in Lagos, Abuja
- CAC declares companies inactive for failing to file annual returns
- Buhari should change service chiefs and consider new strategies to tackle insecurity – Wike
- Nigeria’s inflation rises to 15.75%, highest since 2017
- Lagos State Government to close Apapa Dock for railway project
- Kaduna State government rescues 160 Almajiri children