Estimated Reading Time: <1
By Chris Nomjov
The Muslim Sultanate Council, on Wednesday in Sokoto, urged the Muslim community to begin looking out for the new moon of Jumada Ula 1436 AH.
This is contained in a statement signed by Prof. Sambo Junaidu, Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Religious Affairs, Sultanate council and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria.
It said, “Thursday, Feb. 19, 2015, which is equivalent to 29th day of Rabi’u Sani 1436AH, shall be the day to look for the new moon of Jumada Ula.’’
“Muslims are therefore requested to start looking for the new moon of Jumada Ula on Thursday and report to the nearest district head or forward such information to the Sultan, Sa’ad Abubakar’’, it added.
The Islamic calendar is not based on dates, but on sighting of the moon. The sighting of the moon of Jumada Ula and it’s confirmation by the Sultanate Council; often signals the.beginning of the month of Jumada Awwal, the fifth month of the Muslim calender.
A Muslim faithful, who sights the moon, is expected to notify a member of the Sultanate Council, whence upon a few questions for confirmation; the Sultanate decides on a date, as the beginning of the new month.
- Breaking: Nasarawa State Governor’s father hospitalised, governor’s residence, palace decontaminated
- Breaking: Video shows possible gory details of Policemen killed in Kogi bank robbery
- Covid 19: Refugee Commission and Sen Garba Mohammed’s selflessness during a global Pandemic
- Open Treasury: BudgIT identified faults, calls on government to fix it
- Activist Awosanya says advocacy efforts against Police brutality, other issues, yielding results
- Breaking: In Lagos; Worship centres to reopen June 19 – Says Governor Sanwo-Olu
- Two Chinese miners abducted in Ebonyi
- B/Haram: Top commanders, logistic routes destroyed but attacks on soft targets persist – Army
- COVID-19: Ebonyi orders testing and decontamination for budget ministries
- Nigerian Lawmakers reject castration as punishment for rapists