Estimated Reading Time: <1
By Chris Nomjov
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has expressed it’s readiness to ensure strict adherence to Electoral Act, by prosecuting prospective voters, with fake Permanent Voter Cards.
This was disclosed by the INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner in Oyo State, Amber. Refuse Akeju. The REC reiterated the Commission’s resolve to instill electoral discipline, thus, any voter caught with fake Permanent Voter Card (PVC) during the general elections will be prosecuted.
Akeju, who spoke on Sunday, vowed that INEC would not allow any form of rigging during the elections.
“Any voter who is thinking of voting with a fake PVC during the general elections should shelve the idea now because doing so would land them in jail,’’ he said.
The presidential and National Assembly elections ate billed to hold on March 28 while those of governorship and state Houses of Assembly has been slated for April 11.
The INEC boss also said mechanisms had been put in place by the commission to check rigging and ensure credible elections.
“For example, it impossible for anybody to steal ballot papers in the name of rigging because there cannot be more than 750 ballot papers in any polling unit,” he said.
Also, with regards to the PVC distribution in the state, Akeju noted that a total of 1,563,800 PVCs had been distributed by INEC in the state; labelling it, a huge success rate, in comparison to other states.
- The security situation in Nigeria today is beyond the APC – Nasarawa Governor cries out
- Reveal identities of the terrorists behind Jangebe schoolgirls abduction – ACF tells Matawalle
- Finally, 3.92 million COVID-19 vaccines arrive in Nigeria
- Buhari has declared Zamfara a no-fly zone
- Insecurity is the number one problem of Africa – Akinwunmi Adesina
- Breaking: Senate confirm appointment of new service chiefs
- Buhari, Osinbajo meet with National Security Council
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s mum is dead
- Just in: Thousands of residents trapped as Boko Haram insurgents take over Dikwa, Borno State
- Our abductors threatened to kill, fry, eat us – Jangebe schoolgirls