Estimated Reading Time: <1
The attention of the Police High Command has been drawn to a viral media story alleging Police incivility to a couple in Ikoyi, Lagos.
There has been widespread outrage at the action of a policeman, Dada Ogunsanya, who allegedly brutalised a photographer, Ejeh Smith and his wife, Grace, in the Lekki area of Lagos State.
Among those that called for the sanction of the officer was a human rights lawyer, Femi Falana and a constitutional lawyer, Prof. Itse Sagay, who also stated that the Ikoyi Divisional Police Officer, Aisha Haruna, deserved harsher punishment for abetting the brutality.
The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Suleiman Abba CFR, NPOM, NPM, mni, has ordered a full scale investigation into the matter in line with his avowed commitment to protect and uphold the Human Rights of all Nigerians and residents therein. The Officer involved has been identified and is already undergoing administrative trial. All other officers whose conduct did not speak well on the incident are also being sanctioned, preparatory to further necessary action.
The IGP further reiterated the determination of the Force to abide by the contents of the newly launched NPF Human Rights Practice Manual, stressing that no abuse of human rights will be tolerated in the Force.
PUNCH Newspaper had reported on Wednesday that Ejeh and Grace were going home in a taxi when Ogunsanya and six other police officers patrolling the area flagged down their cab at the Lekki Roundabout.
The policeman was said to have asked the cab driver, Ndubuisi Iheaka, to open his boot for a routine check.
He allegedly asked the couple to alight the cab when they asked him to stop flashing his torch on them since the vehicle’s inner lights were on.
In the argument that ensued, the police officer was said to have hit Ejeh in the eye with the butt of his rifle and punched his wife in the face.
- Breaking: 553 new Coronavirus cases reported in Nigeria, highest in a single day
- Kaduna: Group calls for FG’s intervention in Kajuru killings
- Nollywood Actress, Regina Daniels is having a baby with Ned Nwoko
- Infectious Diseases Bill more dangerous than coronavirus – Ekweremadu
- Ibrahim, President Muhammadu Buhari’s nephew, is dead
- Doctors threaten strike over non payment of COVID-19 Allowance
- 268 Nigerians arrive from China
- Niger State plans to modernise local Islamic schools
- “Destructive shadow of bitterness, we’re shackled by the sins of our fathers”- Nigeria is haunted by the Biafran war
- Nigeria’s Elnathan John, others to judge Kalahari short story competition open to writers in Swahili, French and English