Police in Kano have put the official figure of the persons killed in the multiple bomb explosions at the Kano Central Mosque on Friday at 35.
Earlier estimates had been around 200. The State Deputy Police Commissioner, Mr Sanusi Lemu, told journalists in his office that a total of 150 other persons sustained various degrees of injuries.
Mr. Lemu added that the incident happened when the many people had converged at the mosque for the Friday congregational prayers around 2:00 pm.
He said security had been beefed in the area while investigation had since commenced.
The deputy police commissioner said all the injured persons had been taken to hospitals for medical treatment while the dead bodies had been deposited at the morgue.
Lemu urged the people in the state to continue to be very vigilant and report any suspected persons to the security agencies for immediate action.
Three bombs went off at the Kano Mosque, while worshippers ran out, gunmen fired on fleeing worshippers. Terror turned to anger as three gunmen were beaten to death, eyewitness accounts.
The Bombing of Emir of Kano’s Mosque comes days after he called on people to defend themselves against Boko Haram attacks+not depend on military.
An an eyewitness also told newsmen that two cars exploded on a nearby road while jumaat prayer was about to begin on Friday.
“The vehicles were parked along the road very close to Qadriya House which is opposite the mosque. People died but I don’t know how many,” the eyewitness had said.