Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has urged the speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, to leave office after Mr. Tambuwal officially announced his defection from the party to All Progressives Congress, APC, Tuesday.
The PDP said its National Working Committee has met with its leaders in the House of Representatives concerning the defection of the speaker, and after due considerations.
It said the speaker should do what is honourable since his new party is in the minority.
“After a thorough consideration of the matter, the NWC came to a conclusion that the Hon. Speaker, as a responsible elected officer, knows full well what is needful and honourable of him since his new party is in the minority,” a statement by the party’s publicity secretary, Olisa Metuh, said.
“We are not unmindful of the fact that Hon. Tambuwal became Speaker on the platform of the PDP as the political party with the majority of seats in the House of Representatives and that this incontrovertible fact has not changed.”
Speaker Tambuwal resigned today and immediately adjourned the lower house of assembly plenary till december 2014.
- Federal Airport Authority won’t shut down Kaduna Airport after attack —MD
- Just In: Presidency clarifies fire outbreak in Aso Rock
- COVID-19: Lagos shuts-down 11 facilities for violating protocols
- Herdsmen kill two farmers in Ekiti – Governor Fayemi says “This is one killing too many”
- Buhari marks International Women’s day by unveiling a list of female appointees
- Just In: Queen Elizabeth is to address the nation in a televised speech at 5pm today
- “He is carrying on as normal,” – Presidency tells Nigerians, Buhari has no side effects after Covid-19 Vaccine
- Breaking: Supreme Court Justice, Nwali Sylvester Ngwuta Dies in his sleep
- I “cannot continue to be a member of a Political party that endangers” – Former APC Chairman resigns
- Adams Oshiomhole refers to Governor Obaseki as his “brother and friend” after the two met in Auchi