Despite the ceasefire declaration claimed to have been reached by the federal government of Nigeria to negotiate the release of over 200 Chibok schoolgirls who were abducted by Boko Haram in April, about 60 women were reportedly kidnapped by the terror sect from Waga Mangoro and Garta villages in Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa State following renewed attacks unleashed by the insurgents.
40 girls were said to have been abducted from Waga Mangoro, 20 were forcibly uprooted from their homes in Garta according to Nigeria’s Thisday Newspaper.
NewsWireNGR had last night reported the abductions of 45 girls in the Madagali town of Adamawa said to be in total control of the Boko Haram insurgents, as at Thursday morning the number has risen to 60. The ceasefire may have ended on the pages of Newspapers as the battle between Nigerian troops and the terrorists activities continues in the Northeastern states of Nigeria.
Locals in the affected areas, who escaped during the attacks, confirmed the kidnapping to newsmen on the phone, saying hundreds of insurgents overran the area on motorcycles and in vans during a rampage on Saturday.
They said in the course of the attacks, the insurgents burnt houses and abducted young women. One of the locals in Garta, Tizhe Kwada, who escaped by a whisker, said the onslaught on his community was still ongoing yesterday, forcing many residents to flee the area which has been under Boko Haram siege for almost two months.
Meanwhile, Hon. Isa Lawan representing Guzamala, Kukawa, Mobbar and Abadam federal constituency of Borno State said 18 villages in Borno State are still under the control of Boko Haram insurgents despite a recent ceasefire allegedly agreed by the government and the Islamist militants.
Lawan made the disclosure at yesterdays plenary in the House of Representatives that “Northern Borno axis is falling into the hands of Boko Haram on daily basis.”
Lawan brought the attention of the House to the situation via a motion calling on the federal government to rescue the seized territories.
“Some villages in Adabam, Kukawa and Mobbar local government area on the shores of the Lake Chad Basin, which include Abadam, Gashager, Jubullam, Doguri, Madai, Shawaram, Kangarwa, Arega, Faliwa, Gogobirni, Ali Jilamari, Mamuri, Kurnawa, Malum Zuberu, Dumba, Kulleram and Bawari are already under the control of the insurgents,” he told the House.
Lawan said the agriculturally rich areas had been under the control of the Boko Haram insurgents for the past one week.
“This unfortunate incident is still continuing despite the announcement of the ceasefire agreement between the federal government and the Boko Haram sect.
“If urgent action is not taken to rescue the villages, Nigeria will further lose its territory to the Boko Haram insurgents. Innocent people are being taken hostage and forced to suffer all kinds of inhuman punishment, thereby subjecting them to hunger and starvation. Such is the case in all areas under the control of the insurgents.
“Those Nigerian citizens are being forced to migrate to another country in search of food, shelter and security,” Lawan lamented.
The House, in its resolution, called on the federal government to focus more security and humanitarian attention on the affected areas.