Estimated Reading Time: <1
The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State has described the decision of 11 Senators of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to defect to APC as a wise one, declaring that “as true progressives, they have finally come back home and are warmly welcome to where they truly belong.”
The defectors, who on Wednesday wrote to inform Senate President David Mark of their defection, include Magnus Abe and Wilson Ake from Rivers, former Kwara Governor Abubakar Bukola Saraki, former Gombe State Governor Mohammed Danjuma Goje, former Nasarawa Governor Abdullahi Adamu, and another former Kwara Governor Mohammed Sha’aba Lafiagi. Others are Mohammed Jibrilla Bindo from Adamawa, Umaru Dahiru and Abdullahi Ibrahim Gobir from Sokoto, Mohammed Ali Ndume from Borno and Aisha Jummai Alhassan from Taraba.
In a statement issued in Port Harcourt and signed by Chief Eze Chukwuemeka Eze, Senior Media Adviser to Interim Rivers APC Chairman, Dr. Davies Ibiamu Ikanya, the party noted that the Senators have now joined the movement by Nigerians desirous of a building an ideal and egalitarian nation for the present and future generations. The statement assured the defecting Senators that APC is focused and resolute in its commitment to the tenets of true democracy in Nigeria, stressing that posterity will appreciate their actions towards the cause of nation building.
“We are aware that by March, 2014 more Senators of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and nine PDP Governors will cross over to APC from PDP by which time the arrangement for the formal burial of the doomed PDP will commence. The emergence of APC to the political scene is the answer to the prayers of Nigerians in order to end the menace and hardship that PDP has foisted on our nation and in our polity”, the party said.
Rivers APC hailed Senator Magnus Abe of Rivers South-East and Senator Wilson Ake of Rivers West for dumping PDP describing it as a big boost to the Congress and a manifestation of the fact that the party is now well rooted in the state.
“APC is now in full control of Rivers political space and ready to deliver the state wholly to the party in the 2015 general elections. Rivers APC welcomes Senators Abe and Ake. Progressives adore you, Rivers people are proud of you; democrats salute your courage, your constituents are behind you,” the statement claimed.
The party urged the PDP, which it described as a naked party harbouring undemocratic elements, to bury its head in shame, insisting that the party’s failure, which is now a plus to the APC, has led to the departure of prominent and credible politicians from its fold across the country.
“We are aware that Rivers PDP is pained and weeping for losing two Distinguished Senators, but would anybody expect progressive-minded Nigerians to remain in a failed, undemocratic, visionless, unfashionable and derailed party?” Rivers APC queried.
APC urged Senate President, David Mark to “put a stop to the delay tactics” and read the letter of defection signed by the 11 Senators to the Senate in Session as no amount of pleading, lobbying or blackmail will make them to change their mind regarding their decision to join the APC.
- NLC vows to shut down Kaduna over workers sack
- President Buhari has departed Abuja for Paris, France
- “We now have in our midst bandits” – Ikpeazu says ban on Open grazing must be enforced
- Just In: Unknown Gunmen attack @PoliceNG police divisional Headquarters in Delta State
- “Nobody has monopoly of intolerance” – Aisha Yesufu says critics of Southern Governors are on expired drugs
- Statement on center for clinical care and clinical research
- “Perfect birthday gift for my daughter” – Super Eagles player, Wilfred Ndidi celebrates FA Cup title win
- SERAP Claims N4.1 billion budgeted for the National Assembly is missing
- INTERVIEW – Dami Duro to FEM: Analysing Davido’s 10 years of making smashing hits back to back
- Sunday Igboho threatens to disrupt the 2023 general elections in Southwest states